No RF signal on HDTV for original Famicom - SOLVED

Started by Famicom3DS, April 09, 2015, 12:09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Famicom3DS

April 09, 2015, 12:09:19 pm Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 06:19:12 pm by Famicom3DS
I've tried all channels (including 80-100, 95 and 96), both Antenna and Cable settings and auto channel search. I'm using a US NES RF adapter (I have a US TV) and a Vizio HDTV. I would think my Famicom is not powering on but I tested the GPU and 7805 regulator with a voltmeter and they were getting both 5v each. I've made sure the switch was on GAME instead of TV, and tried both channel 1 and 2 on the back of the Famicom. Is it possible that the RF jack is bad or needs to be cleaned? I need help.  :(

The board type is HVC-CPU-05 for those wondering.

daskrabs

Many HDTV's are not compatible with RF adapters, be they Japan or US. They simply won't tune analog channels. You'll need to use an external analog tuner, like a VCR, or get an old CRT. You could also mod your Famicom for composite out, or buy an AV Famicom. 

Famicom3DS

The TV (Vizio) has a bulit-in tuner, and the ability to switch between analog and digital.

My dad checked out the RF adapter itself and it's not consistent on one end (the end that plugs into the Famicom) so that could be it.

FrankWDoom

Do you have another console you can try with the rf cord? That would narrow things down.

There might be a toggle for cable/antenna feed in your tv settings. You might need to switch it to have the tv recognize the signal.

also fyi you can buy a rca > rf adapter so you can run any old rca cable from the console right into the adapter at the rf port. might get a better signal that way vs the rf box.

zmaster18

I'm pretty sure your HDTV just simply won't pick up any channels. I tried using RF on my flat screen when I first got my Fami, and it just didn't work. You gotta try a CRT or just AV mod your system.

Famicom3DS

I'm afraid I don't have any other RF systems or players to try the adapter out on, and I'll be sure to try out the Famicom on a VHS player and CRT TV asap.

Also, is it normal for the GPU to get hot while on?

jpx72

The RF signal may be to distorted for modern TV's automatic tunning, so it won't catch it. Any possibility to do a manual scan?
Also GPU warm OK, but hot, not very good...

Test if audio output works on pin46 of cart connector. You will at least know that it works.

Famicom3DS

April 10, 2015, 09:20:14 am #7 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 06:18:58 pm by Famicom3DS
Thanks for the reply jpx72, do I just connect the rf to that cartridge port and to the TV? And is there any way to fix that GPU problem?

EDIT : Apparently after a bunch of sanding on the RF jack, alcohol cleansing, cord splicing and wire twisting trying to find a better connection, I got my Famicom working with a pretty clear image on my smaller HDTV (which I though only went up to 68, turns out I was wrong and goes up to at least 95 and 96), so thanks everyone. ^^

jpx72

Quote from: Famicom3DS on April 10, 2015, 09:20:14 am...sanding on the RF jack, alcohol cleansing, cord splicing and wire twisting

...and this is how it's done! Congrats!

Post Merge: April 12, 2015, 03:08:12 am

Quote from: Famicom3DS on April 10, 2015, 09:20:14 am
do I just connect the rf to that cartridge port and to the TV? And is there any way to fix that GPU problem?

Check out http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=11701.msg159607#msg159607

As for the GPU problem, once it's fried, you need to replace it. So be carefull with power adapters.

Famicom3DS

Ah okay, I heard something about the NES GPU being the same? I think it should be fine for now, it gets quite warm but it's probably normal since my Famicom is working just fine now. (didn't even have to replace the voltage regulator :D)

Do you know of anyone who has AV mod services for sale? :)