Irrational and silly complaints thread

Started by maxellnormalbias, December 10, 2014, 10:24:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

I agree! All my Game & Watches still have their battery cover and there's no reason they wouldn't.

Quote from: BaconBitsKing on March 11, 2015, 04:49:29 pm
People who say "Famicon" instead of Famicom. How?
Becuase it's a Japanese word and they use ン (n) instead of ム (mu) in コンピュータ (conpyuuta) since ン sounds like an "m" if it comes before certain consonants ("p" in this case) just like it does in many European languages. When ファミコン (famikon) is romanized people romanized コン (kon) to "com" since it comes from the English word "computer". But the pronounciation is still [kon] since that's how it's written in katakana (Japanese almost always write the way it's pronounced).

Actually I think com and kon sounds almost the same when you speak fast so you could really say either.

Jedi Master Baiter

House addresses remind me of chipmusic.

And at work, we label parcels by shelves: 5B

I need more free time to get back into this hobby. :(

NikuSama

People who say "Famicon" instead of Famicom. How?

this has always irritated me, but I think its merely from people not really giving a damn that they are complete idiots. its like people that come in to work looking for "UBS" cables and "HMDI" ports

Also, it's nigh impossible to find an original Game Boy that doesn't have dead pixels and/or a missing battery cover right now.  >:( :fire:

a little heat fixes the dead rows of pixels, just get your tri-wing ready. as for battery covers, cheap Chinese replacements or your just boned

P

The Japanese ン (n) sound is normally said with your lips closed much like an m-sound (it might differ depending in what situation it's used though). So the difference between Famicom and Famicon isn't that big. I'm surprised you even can tell the difference when people speaks fast.

maxellnormalbias

Well, the problem is people who call it that generally say "Famma-kawn".

MaxXimus

yes that's been discussed over already. what people here are saying is that in Japanese, the sound n and m can sometimes use the same sound and that the symbol they use in the word famicom is actually the symbol for n which sounds more similarly to m than the next closest symbol which reads mu. correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm just trying to reiterate.

P

It sounds like an m because a p comes immediately after it (konpyuuta). Same rules apply in Swedish and probably other European languages (n before p or b sounds like an m). But in Famikon there is no p after it so it sounds like the normal (Japanese) n (which it's said with lips closed).

M-Tee

I'm glad this thread exists. As I occasionally want to whine about things.

So, pinterest basically making google image search useless for a number of things. I find that I'm nearly constantly searching "desired topic -pinterest" just to get anything close to useful results. There's a Chrome Add-on that brings back "block results from this IP" functionality (which was a fool of a thing to remove), but it doesn't work for image search.

Also, the difficulty in finding moderately academic results instead of commercial ones. Ex. I recently had to put together a reference sheet of traditional masks throughout the world. Finding images of traditional masks from specific cultures instead of websites selling reproductions, tourist gifts, or kitsch home-decor proved to be quite a task.

Byron

Google search results are based on your browsing history. Stop using the computer your mom does Pinterest on all day and you won't have that problem.

M-Tee

Cute assessment.

However, these are work computers, which I use under incognito and not logged in to any profile, so to my understanding, no, they're not.