How best to enjoy "Tower of Druaga"

Started by Zycrow, April 16, 2015, 02:50:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zycrow

Hi folks! So just recently I got a copy of Tower of Druaga for my FC. I love both the style and history behind this game, but some of its appeal to me comes from that old "learn the tricks in the schoolyard" style that a lot of old FC games have. It's common knowledge that the methods of unlocking the treasures get into the absurdly obtuse.

Since part of the fun of the game is discovering the treasures, for those of you who've completed this game, did you use a guide? Or is there some other resources that gives hints (I know the DS Namco Museum has a "navigation mode," but I'm playing on my original hardware)?

Just curious!  ;D
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

UglyJoe

I played it for a while just trying to guess what to do floor-to-floor.  I didn't get more than 10 or so levels into it.  I did cheat once or twice by looking at the Strategy Wiki guide, though.

I'm not sure there's a way to really enjoy it like it was new, given the "school yard" nature of it. 

P

Maybe you can post here when you get stuck and see if people knows how to get out without cheating.

M-Tee

The tasks to unlock the required items in that game are absurd and leftover from being designed to guzzle coins in the arcade. I wouldn't even consider playing it without a guide.

zmaster18

I remember playing it a few times and not understanding what to do in the game. I just died instantly. Another game that's all about secrets is Atlantis no Nazo. But that was actually a pretty decent game if you knew some tricks.

fredJ

I think it is pretty impossible without a guide. I remember that at a certain stage you get an axe you have to use at a certain other stage , and if you don't have it you are lost... Or if you have used it.
Recently I realized you can select the stage at the beginning so I might give it another try some day... :D
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Zycrow

Last night I played up to Floor 7 or 8 using the Strategy Wiki guide. I don't think my enjoyment was diminished, so that's probably how I'll continue. Maybe I just have poor taste, but I really enjoy these older titles with really esoteric secrets.

I didn't know there was a floor select - I thought you had to continue from Floor 1 (but with the items you collected)
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

fredJ

Quote from: Zycrow on April 21, 2015, 02:45:42 pm
Last night I played up to Floor 7 or 8 using the Strategy Wiki guide. I don't think my enjoyment was diminished, so that's probably how I'll continue. Maybe I just have poor taste, but I really enjoy these older titles with really esoteric secrets.

I didn't know there was a floor select - I thought you had to continue from Floor 1 (but with the items you collected)

Yes I thought so too but then I recorded a gameplay with some friends who figured this out LOL. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVqBWU_ZduA)

I enjoy it too, but got burnt out after a while....
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com