Why is this game so expensive?

Started by 8-bitman, April 24, 2015, 06:19:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

8-bitman

Hey all I know that this forum is mostly for the famicom but I wanted to know this.

Why the heck is Akumajo Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight/STON  on the saturn over $100?
Is it really that hard to find in japan? I paid $86 for mine and I think even that was too much.
The game should be like $30-$40 why is it not?
"Say, fuzzy pickles." (Earthbound)

Nightstar699

Because it's a Castlevania game. Castlevania games are expensive. It's also a good Saturn game. Good Saturn games are expensive. Put these two together and you have yourself a high-demand item. If you want quality, then be prepared to pay for it.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

UglyJoe

Plus the Japan-exclusive Saturn version has extra features (new areas, new enemies/bosses, new playable character) that the non-exclusive PS1 version didn't have.

b1aCkDeA7h

Quote from: UglyJoe on April 24, 2015, 09:27:38 am
Plus the Japan-exclusive Saturn version has extra features (new areas, new enemies/bosses, new playable character) that the non-exclusive PS1 version didn't have.

The novelty of the added on stuff was neat, but felt very tacked on.  The remixes to the old themes were pretty good.

A shame Dracula X Chronicles was a PSP title.

8-bitman

I read something some were that said that the castlevaina games sell poorly in japan. I wonder if maybe that has anything to do with it? 

FamiGamer86

I also think it was inferior to the PS1 original technically, with worse transparencies and load times. That, and it was released around the time the saturn was dropping off in Japan, with the dreamcast being five months away from release, and it getting hyped up and all.
So I once shipped an item with SAK (Below Economy Airmail) instead of SAL or EMS. I had to retrieve the package from the Amazon rainforest. The system was a bit dirty, but still worked. Never ship anything with SAK, because they ship packages from JOS.

fredJ

It isn't that common at all -- maybe on ebay but not in real numbers compared with saturn games...
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

8-bitman

So it is a rare game then? ;D  The truth comes out that the game is expensive because its a rare game.

L___E___T

It's a combination of all of those.  I wouldn't call it rare per se - but it's more uncommon than the PS1 version.  Which in itself is one of THE most popular PS1 games in the west.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

kevkevkev

The pal ps1 game sells for alot more.

P

Yeah I remember I was going to buy the PS1 version back when it still wasn't very old and I couldn't even find it, then the price had gone up real fast. Should have bought it when it was new!