Toploader NES RF Adapter -- Clear Picture

Started by Mr Game and Watch, April 28, 2015, 06:01:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Game and Watch

Lately, I've noticed that my toploader NES is not showing me a very good picture. I have it connected to a Magnavox VCR/DVD, and that is connected to my Olevia HD TV by RCA wires (yellow, red, and white). So, while I can play my NES games and record videos (I want to make journalistic videos about my NES collection, and Famicom and Famicom Disk, eventually), I still can't get a very good picture. Is there any other way besides modding my consoles to utilize RCA or composite wires?
"This is where the fish lives."

waterclocker

Try eliminating the RF box and use a direct RF adapter into the VCR.  Also be sure to use a well shielded RCA cable!  I use an old super thick shielded RCA cable from Radio Shack and the picture comes out the best it can from a RF signal.  Here is the link to the adapter.  Best you can do without doing the composite video mod or other mods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-TV-adapter-Atari-2600-Game-system-console-Cable-RF-Switchbox-coaxial-antenna-/301591525424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4638417830

Mr Game and Watch

Both the NES and the Famicom have specific slots for specific RF adapters. Will direct ones still be able to connect to these consoles? Also, where is the best place to look for shielded RCA cables? I could check Radio Shack in town, but I understand the company is going under; which means the stores are likely to close up shop, if they haven't already. Will I be able to both see and hear, too?

waterclocker

The original Famicom and NES Top loader have the same RCA connection on the back of the system for the RF adapter.  You will plug the shielded RCA cable
into the back of the system and then that adapter will screw onto the coax of the VCR.  You will still need to tune to the same channel and everything.  This looks
like a good option for the shielded RCA cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Subwoofer-Cable-Feet/dp/B005DL5N2G/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1430408332&sr=8-13&keywords=shielded+rca+ultra

Mr Game and Watch

Alright, I've purchased both items. I'll be expecting to receive each on May 6, so I'll try them out once I do. Thanks for the help!

FrankWDoom

RF is the lowest quality connection unfortunately, so there's only so much you can do with that. Running it through a vcr adds a layer of video processing that will hurt a bit. You'll have to decide whether you value video quality or the vcr more.

If it's a serious issue for you, you can look into an AV mod or even a fancy pants RGB/s-video mod.

nerdynebraskan

This is very interesting. I love my NES-101, but I have been moderately curious about the potential for slightly improving its A/V without getting it modded. I may have to buy one of those cables as well.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Mr Game and Watch

Quote from: FrankWDoom on April 30, 2015, 03:40:12 pm
RF is the lowest quality connection unfortunately, so there's only so much you can do with that. Running it through a vcr adds a layer of video processing that will hurt a bit. You'll have to decide whether you value video quality or the vcr more.

If it's a serious issue for you, you can look into an AV mod or even a fancy pants RGB/s-video mod.

I'd get my NES and my Famicom modded, but I can't afford that, right now. Sadly.

lobdale

I play my AV Famicom outputted with RCA, into an RF modulator, into my old RF-only CRT television. It looks fine, partly cause it's only like 10".

I guess the point is, when you're playing on original hardware, you have to kind of embrace its quirks. You're never going to get absolute perfection out of anything, and why would you want to? For me at least, playing original carts on original hardware is kind of all about replicating the experience that the average person would have had with the game as it was released and when it was released. They weren't pumping video through RGB chips to their plasma displays or anything. If I wanted it to look "flawless" I could easily emulate or filter and get that 1:1 pixel accuracy on my plasma with some bluetooth controllers... but is perfectly clear picture really what the developers had in mind?

Obviously there's a level at which image or sound quality could be so awful that it's distracting, but these games were designed to be seen through the fuzz and overscan... it's part of what makes it unique.