Life of batteries in FDS

Started by Zycrow, May 13, 2015, 06:57:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zycrow

Just out of curiosity - I use batteries to power my FDS and I'm wondering how often I should replace them in order to avoid corrosion. I don't play the FDS all the time and IIRC it only uses power when it's reading the disk, so I would imagine the answer is "not often." But like I said, wanting to avoid corrosion.

In case it makes a difference, the batteries in it were all purchased at the same time. They are not rechargeable and are Energizer brand. They have been in the FDS for about a year.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

HokusaiXL

I just stick a piece of poster board between the battery contacts where they meet in the middle.  There's less of a chance of battery leak because they're no longer in circuit when you do.
I don't know how to fox. D:

P

I had batteries leak on me many times when they was just stored away in a box though (probably takes a few years). I usually take the batteries out when I'm not planning to use the FDS in a long while. Then just replace them when their voltage is low (never happened).

zmaster18

I would say change them every 2 years for freshness.

By the way, I hope you're enjoying my old FDS. I still haven't had my own since I sold you mine, but I am getting myself a new one soon.

Zycrow

Thanks for the input, folks!

Quote from: zmaster18 on May 14, 2015, 05:37:02 pm
I would say change them every 2 years for freshness.

By the way, I hope you're enjoying my old FDS. I still haven't had my own since I sold you mine, but I am getting myself a new one soon.

I absolutely am. It's been smooth sailing after all the wacky issues with sprite garbling. I only have five games for the FDS but I have a list of others I'm planning to pick up over time. Even when I'm not playing it, just having it there with my Famicom gives me a sense of satisfaction.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18