Kira Kira Star Night Repro

Started by jedahan, May 21, 2015, 01:34:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jedahan

So, if repro's are frowned upon feel free to close this thread, I am not 100% familiar with all the rules of the board here.

But, I think in this case it is more OK since the game is only being sold on DVD, and I wanna play on real hardware :)

Here is my preliminary research on the topic, and I know that ImATrackMan has done all the hard work already, so I am just gonna be following his footsteps once I get back to the states where I have all my dev equipment.

Heres a shared hackpad I am using for research, if there are any inaccuracies and suggestions please, I would love feedback! Here on the forums or in the hackpad. Otherwise, i'll just be updating here with the build log once I start collecting the stuff from akihabara...

https://jedahan.hackpad.com/kira-kira-star-night-repro-M0gaN3KyM8Y

ImATrackMan

That screenshot is terrible and it's entirely my fault, that was a really quick shoot and the lighting in my former room was terrible, so here are couple of better shots (taken before I broke a clip and superglued the cart shut) and two of (many) reference photos I used. Please forgive the solder joints and the EPROM pin soldered directly to the trace, it was my first time trying this  :-[

Here's a link to a NESdev page with the rewiring procedures for different types of boards (TK and TSROM are the same)

fcgamer

This game has been sold on physical cart before, although it seems to be very hard to obtain.

Normally I am against repros, even for rares, but for some items like this (and Mr. Splash would be another example), it seems that repro is the only way to ever be able to check out the game properly.  On that note, I am not sure what I hate more, repros or modern creators making games artificially rare.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

The other obvious choice is to just use the Everdrive or other flashcart for games like this.

ImATrackMan

Quote from: fcgamer on May 23, 2015, 05:22:34 am...modern creators making games artificially rare.

According to Hally (I believe), even though RIKI had faith in the carts, and was confident in their success, the cartridges weren't selling well enough at events (the only place they were sold) to justify the cost of making them (remember, they were made with all-new boards and parts), so I don't think RIKI planned for official physical copies of his game to become so rare, they just did.

fcgamer

Quote from: ImATrackMan on May 23, 2015, 11:51:24 am
Quote from: fcgamer on May 23, 2015, 05:22:34 am...modern creators making games artificially rare.

According to Hally (I believe), even though RIKI had faith in the carts, and was confident in their success, the cartridges weren't selling well enough at events (the only place they were sold) to justify the cost of making them (remember, they were made with all-new boards and parts), so I don't think RIKI planned for official physical copies of his game to become so rare, they just did.

Right, but this is my point:  They could have been sold online as well, like the DVDs with the PC version were.  If the Famicom cart was sold online, I would have gladly purchased one, but alas, it was not.  I even remember trying to contact the maker about the game and heard crickets.  That is not the best way to do business, imo, and whether intentional or not, when people are inquiring to purchase your product and you don't say anything, it screams of artificial rarity.

zmaster18

Isn't this game being sold for $200? Is that directly from the maker of the game, or second-hand?

fcgamer

Quote from: zmaster18 on May 23, 2015, 02:49:52 pm
Isn't this game being sold for $200? Is that directly from the maker of the game, or second-hand?

I thought it was being sold by the maker, but apparently it was (is?) only sold at the events, and from my perspective anyway, I haven;t had any luck obtaining one :(

FrankWDoom

That's what I remember from when this first showed up. That's basically a big FU to everyone, especially after seeing how little gameplay there was in the demo video. NES homebrew games on the generally sell for less than $75 with all new parts and boxes and manuals.

zmaster18

Quote from: FrankWDoom on May 26, 2015, 05:14:50 pm

That's what I remember from when this first showed up. That's basically a big FU to everyone, especially after seeing how little gameplay there was in the demo video. NES homebrew games on the generally sell for less than $75 with all new parts and boxes and manuals.

I just saw some gameplay of the game. I was surprised that the levels didn't have enemies or even obstacles. The art and music are good though.

ImATrackMan

May 27, 2015, 12:57:55 am #10 Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:03:33 am by ImATrackMan
The game is $30 (excluding shipping), and for that you get the NES ROM, a self-contained emulator, a Soundtrack CD, and a book with art from 50+ artists and a development diary starting from the very conception of the game. I think it's pretty well worth it. Do a really tiny amount of research and try not to shoot the game down immediately because of the simplicity of the gameplay. If "game" is too big of a title for it, it's at the very least an incredibly impressive interactive NES/MMC3 tech demo.

fcgamer

May 27, 2015, 01:52:55 am #11 Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:05:46 am by fcgamer
Quote from: ImATrackMan on May 27, 2015, 12:57:55 am
The game is $30 (excluding shipping), and for that you get the NES ROM, a self-contained emulator, a Soundtrack CD, and a book with art from 50+ artists and a development diary starting from the very conception of the game. I think it's pretty well worth it. Do a really tiny amount of research and try not to shoot the game down immediately because of the simplicity of the gameplay. If "game" is too big of a title for it, it's at the very least an incredibly impressive interactive NES/MMC3 tech demo.

That just gets you the rom though.  The guy had actually made some Famicom carts as well, and that is what I am after.  I don't collect roms.  :)

Post Merge: May 27, 2015, 02:05:46 am

Quote from: FrankWDoom on May 26, 2015, 05:14:50 pm

There seems to be a much bigger market for NES homebrew games.  Let's also remember, that the guys in the west just make limited edition copies, 50 games or something, then give them all numbers to make them artificially rare and collectible, and then auction off on Nintendo Age for large amounts of money as well.  It's basically the same damn thing.

And for those who are wondering, I would gladly pay $200 for this if someone can get me one.

Ghegs

Quote from: fcgamer on May 27, 2015, 01:52:55 amThere seems to be a much bigger market for NES homebrew games.  Let's also remember, that the guys in the west just make limited edition copies, 50 games or something, then give them all numbers to make them artificially rare and collectible, and then auction off on Nintendo Age for large amounts of money as well.  It's basically the same damn thing.

Those games tend to be really shitty, though. Making them artificially rare and collectible is the only way the devs can hope to make any money from suckers who must own every NES release possible, official or otherwise. Any NES homebrew that's actually good has a far larger release, most notably the Battle Kid games. You can still buy new copies of the first game, and it's over five years old.

zmaster18

Quote from: Ghegs on May 27, 2015, 04:02:20 am
Quote from: fcgamer on May 27, 2015, 01:52:55 amThere seems to be a much bigger market for NES homebrew games.  Let's also remember, that the guys in the west just make limited edition copies, 50 games or something, then give them all numbers to make them artificially rare and collectible, and then auction off on Nintendo Age for large amounts of money as well.  It's basically the same damn thing.

Those games tend to be really shitty, though. Making them artificially rare and collectible is the only way the devs can hope to make any money from suckers who must own every NES release possible, official or otherwise. Any NES homebrew that's actually good has a far larger release, most notably the Battle Kid games. You can still buy new copies of the first game, and it's over five years old.

I have to agree with this. Like Zooming Secretary also looks good, but once you see that the game is only 7 levels, it makes it totally not worth it.
I feel like more money could be made from these games if they were released on the Nintendo eShop for $5 or less. I would feel like a sucker for paying that much for a mini-game. May as well buy a new console you don't have for that amount of money.

jedahan

I see it more as supporting an artist and interesting art piece than collecting a rare / fun game

the game itself is mildly interesting to me, but the work put into the title screen...the 'demo' as it were...I think its just kind of a great gateway to an interesting story

also seems to be a fun challenge, to learn how to make a repro