Newbie to famicom/fds asking questions.

Started by sauren, May 23, 2015, 10:31:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sauren

Decided to make a account on here, after browsing for months. I've decided I want to get into famicom/fds collecting after my research over time. I love the look of the cartridge, the look of the consoles, and you can get basically all titles for it, the only barrier to entry is money, and learning japanese.

A few questions I have:
I heard a genesis model 1 ac adapter works best in the US with the famicom, is this true?
If so, does it also work with the FDS?
Does the AV famicom has jail lines?
If I get a fds with a replaced belt, how long would it take before I replace this one?
I know that you can rewrite fds games, would that be something I watch out for, so lets say I want to buy a copy of Metroid, and then I get a copy of Akumajo Dracula on it, or where those "rewriters" not that common? If so should I look around for NIB fds games?
I know that most games are in Kana for the famicom, are there any common titles that are in Kanji?
Are their any good websites that ship to the us directly, unlike yahoo auctions jp, or amazon jp?
Is there a customs charge if I order famicom games overseas? Like from ebay or yahoo auctions jp?
Pulse line games, do all of them have a non-pulse line counterpart?
Finally, what famicom/fds games are the most expensive(non-pirate)? (I'm asking this so as soon as I get the titles I want, I can knock out the expensive ones while I have the money.)

MISC non-famicom questions:
Are super famicom games also in kana, or are they in kanji?

Thanks in advanced and happy gaming.  ;D

My love for the famicom keeps growing and growing as I learn more and more, now all I need to do is learn kana.

BaconBitsKing

Welcome to Famicom World.

The Genesis model 1 adapter does work with the Famicom, but nothing will go wrong if you use that Japanese AC adapter. I don't think it works with the Disk  System.
The FDS belt's lifespan depends on how often you use it and how sturdy the belt is. (I think people have made belts stronger than the original belts).
I've seen a non-pulse counterpart for most pulse games. Some of the non-pulse versions are pretty rare.
Rare games like Recca and Lickle are really expensive, as are games that use special sound chips. Also, cartridge versions of Akumajo Dracula and Bio Miracle (which is particularly hard to find).

Sorry that I could only answer a few of your questions, but this is just the information that I've acquired from asking some of the same questions in the past.

zmaster18

Ok, first of all welcome! I will try to answer some of your questions.

The Genesis Model 1 adapter works great. I personally use to use one on my first Famicom.
I don't believe it works with the Disk System. The FDS can use C-cell batteries and the batteries should last up to 1 or 2 years.
You shouldn't have to replace a belt for at least 5-10 years.
Buying game disks with games that don't match the label isn't a huge problem, but it is totally random. It's best to buy games that also match the case and cover art.
Not too many games use kanji, since most young children only read kana.
Tons of people on eBay ship to US, or are even located in north america.
I believe you only get charged customs for large purchases.
Most pulse-line games have alternative versions, except for DK Jr. Math and popeye's english as an example.
Most expensive games, I'm not sure. I just buy the cheap ones haha.

Super Famicom games probably use more kanji, since there was more memory and higher resolution to draw kanji on screen.

sauren

May 23, 2015, 11:51:00 am #3 Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:40:20 pm by sauren
Thank you both for answering some of my questions, appreciate it.

Post Merge: May 23, 2015, 06:40:20 pm

Another question:
Will an NES RF work with my famicom, allowing me to use US tv's if I don't get av?
My love for the famicom keeps growing and growing as I learn more and more, now all I need to do is learn kana.

UglyJoe

Quote from: sauren on May 23, 2015, 11:51:00 am
Another question:
Will an NES RF work with my famicom, allowing me to use US tv's if I don't get av?

Yes.  You'll need a TV that can tune in channel 95 or 96, though (regardless of which RF adapter you would use).

sauren

Quote from: UglyJoe on May 23, 2015, 07:36:24 pm
Quote from: sauren on May 23, 2015, 11:51:00 am
Another question:

Yes.  You'll need a TV that can tune in channel 95 or 96, though (regardless of which RF adapter you would use).

Really, well damn. My current crt only goes upto 55.

UglyJoe

An AV Famicom or a AV-modded Famicom would be easier to use, then.

BaconBitsKing

If your TV only goes to channel 55, you can use a VCR that has channels 95 and 96.

sauren

Since I don't feel like dealing with RF, and the buzzing none-the-less. Will an av famicom work with av + svideo out w/o modification or no?

I mean something like this:
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/snes-n64-famicom-av-gamecube-s-video-cable-tomee.html

P

No you won't get s-video out of an AV Famicom (without the RGB mod anyway). I don't know if S-video cables can carry a a composite signal or not but if it can it will probably work (but with composite, no s-video signal).

sauren

Quote from: P on May 24, 2015, 11:04:23 am
No you won't get s-video out of an AV Famicom (without the RGB mod anyway). I don't know if S-video cables can carry a a composite signal or not but if it can it will probably work (but with composite, no s-video signal).

Alrighty thanks, just making sure I check most options before I buy.

zmaster18

Actually, RF could work on lower channels. I got it working on my small CRT TV on channel 16 and 18. It's always worth trying out.

However, RF video quality isn't good. Sometimes your picture will become fuzzy, or even become black and white. I highly recommend getting an AV Famicom or modified original Famicom.

nerdynebraskan

Welcome!

You asked a bunch of questions, and some of them seem to have been passed over by other members.

The AV Famicom has perfect video and audio. No jailbars, unlike its US cousin the NES-101. It's an expensive option, but it's the best console Nintendo built in the 8-bit era (in any region). I love mine, and I think it's a solid investment.

Ebay is an alright option for shopping for Famicom stuff, but also check out our B/S/T forum here. Members like manuel and senseiman have huge selections of FC stuff for less than Ebay prices, and they've always taken care of me (and many others here).

I've never had to pay customs on any of my Famicom imports. The US doesn't really tax that sort of thing the same way many other countries do. I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

A couple of other very expensive carts that are really fun to play (that haven't been named yet) are Gimmick! and Moon Crystal.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

sauren

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on May 24, 2015, 02:47:57 pm
Welcome!

You asked a bunch of questions, and some of them seem to have been passed over by other members.

The AV Famicom has perfect video and audio. No jailbars, unlike its US cousin the NES-101. It's an expensive option, but it's the best console Nintendo built in the 8-bit era (in any region). I love mine, and I think it's a solid investment.

Ebay is an alright option for shopping for Famicom stuff, but also check out our B/S/T forum here. Members like manuel and senseiman have huge selections of FC stuff for less than Ebay prices, and they've always taken care of me (and many others here).

I've never had to pay customs on any of my Famicom imports. The US doesn't really tax that sort of thing the same way many other countries do. I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

A couple of other very expensive carts that are really fun to play (that haven't been named yet) are Gimmick! and Moon Crystal.

Thanks! Will check the BST section if I'm trying to find unfindable titles or buying bulk and trying to get a deal, and thanks for confirming about the customs, it always worries me.

Pikkon

A model one genesis psu will work just fine on a disk system but what I would do it get this.
http://www.dx.com/p/1-to-2-power-splitter-cable-for-cctv-security-system-camera-dc-12v-112982#.VWPxE9JViko

Then you can use it to power both the famicom and disk system and it works great.