March 28, 2024, 07:25:50 am

Gaming pet-peeves

Started by zmaster18, May 25, 2015, 01:00:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

As kids we had no idea how to pronounce his name (since the R + consonant-Y is a very awkward combination in Swedish) so we just used to call him Roy. :-[

Quote from: UglyJoe on July 22, 2015, 02:31:12 pm
Quote from: P on July 22, 2015, 11:23:09 am
I don't know how poh is pronounced but it sounds like po (no diphthong) to me.

I meant it like the "po" that's in the word "poker".  You had said earlier: "They both sounds like the "a" in the word "all" just a bit shorter", which doesn't seem right to me for a Japanese "po" ("pa", yes, but not "po").  I'm starting to think I missed a joke somewhere :-[

I checked how "poker" is pronounced in English with various results. Sometimes with a diphthong like in the word "poke", but then I found this one which has a much cleaner vowel sound not unlike Japanese. I guess you pronounce it something like that.

Maybe I'm just pronouncing "all" the wrong way. :-[ I'm sure many people here know how Japanese vowels sound. The vowels basically always sounds the same way in all situations unlike in many other languages (so the a in pa pronounces the same as in sa, za, ka, wa, a, ta and so on).

StJackie

Poker in the front,  Liquor in the rear..

zxin

Quote from: UglyJoe on July 22, 2015, 04:53:39 am
The Japanese pronunciation certainly sounds like "poh" to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbrbpqs11gw  ;D
They certainly say Poh-kay-mon. If Americans want a different pronunciation like they have with everything else then they don't deserve free will.
Thanks for your time,<br />~zxin

P

I don't hear the h or y. Definitely not the y. I guess the h is silent and is added just to show that the o is pronounced in a certain way, but what's the y for?

People with different mother tongues will pronounce names in a way that uses sounds they are comfortable with.
I have heard probably over 20 different variations of people trying to pronounce my name. ;D

zxin

Quote from: P on July 23, 2015, 05:01:38 am
I don't hear the h or y. Definitely not the y. I guess the h is silent and is added just to show that the o is pronounced in a certain way, but what's the y for?

People with different mother tongues will pronounce names in a way that uses sounds they are comfortable with.
I have heard probably over 20 different variations of people trying to pronounce my name. ;D
It sounds like you're desperately trying to prove me wrong.
Thanks for your time,<br />~zxin

zmaster18

English is full of crazy retarded spellings and pronunciations.  ???  There's no point debating over it. That's why I suck at spelling, not every is spelt like how it is said. I like how in Japanese, you pronounce stuff exactly as it is said, except for a few exceptions. Like don't pronounce 'u' in 'su' or 'desu'. 

Zycrow

No no, it's pronounced PHOQUEMOH
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

M-Tee

An Aussie and a Swede arguing over the English pronunciation of a fictional element of children's pop culture, that is of itself, a portmanteau of two Japanese (mis)pronunciations of English words... when there are hundreds of officially produced and distributed English-language audio samples through the animated series and movies to very quickly refer to.

I'm certainly not the only one that sees the preposterousness of this situation.

P

I think everyone knows how it's pronounced already (sound clips was posted even).

Quote from: zmaster18 on July 23, 2015, 01:43:21 pm
English is full of crazy retarded spellings and pronunciations.  ???  There's no point debating over it. That's why I suck at spelling, not every is spelt like how it is said. I like how in Japanese, you pronounce stuff exactly as it is said, except for a few exceptions. Like don't pronounce 'u' in 'su' or 'desu'. 

Yeah English didn't go through regular spelling revolutions like most other European languages so it's basically still spelled how it was pronounced way back. Plus I think it has lots of influences from French and French is even worse than English is when it comes to spelling rules. I guess that's also the reason why English sounds so different from other Germanic languages (German, Dutch, Scandinavian languages except Finnish among others).

Quote from: zxin on July 23, 2015, 01:27:45 pm
Quote from: P on July 23, 2015, 05:01:38 am

It sounds like you're desperately trying to prove me wrong.

Believe what you want. I'm out of here.  :mario:

M-Tee

Absolute major pet peeve:

People who post videos of retro games that :

• are not in the original aspect ration

• are cropped

• feature some atrocious graphics filtering.

zmaster18

New pet-peeve: People who call the Super Scope the Super Scope 6. Again, another case of calling the hardware by the software - just like "the" Wii Fit.

As you can see, my gaming pet-peeves involve people who mistake the names of game consoles. I saw a video on Did You Know Gaming and the friggin guy called the FDS the Super Famicom Drive.