March 28, 2024, 06:35:43 am

Gaming pet-peeves

Started by zmaster18, May 25, 2015, 01:00:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hvc01

Quote from: L___E___T on May 26, 2015, 02:47:44 am
Quote from: hvc01 on May 25, 2015, 09:44:02 pm
the correct pronunciation of the letter s is s its not z. if it was supposed to be nez or snez the would have spelled it that way. i mean you don't say fishez its fishes.

You're kidding right?  In Kinetic terms, yes we absolutely do say "Fishizz" - say it out loud, no-one says 'Fishiss" :D

Abbreviations aren't subject to the same kinds of rules you'd find across English - hence why some people pronounce the abbreviation as a noun in its own right and others use the sounds of the actual words.

However, I'm not trying to be an ass :D I'm not one of those fanatics.

Jedi I managed about 3 secs into that video before rage-quitting.  What the hell.

I was kidding about the fishes. it's not a word :)

MD rocks btw to the poster below

L___E___T

MD absolutely rocks - if I was to make a new game now, I'd rather use the MD than the SFC.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

liquidco2

I prefer the snes but md is a good system for sure its not about the systems it's more the term blast processing and the nintendont its a marketing ploy and proper sega fanboys have adapted it.

I like both sega and Nintendo I just don't get the rivalry... Same with Xbox and playstation don't get it at all just annoys me

P

Yeah it's just stupid.

Regarding abbreviations I'm with LET. I can't believe people in English speaking countries actually go through the trouble and spell out all the letters of perfectly pronounceable abbreviations. I say nes and snes (short vowel, short s at the end, the z-sound is non-existent in Swedish). Saying the name of every letter in SNES probably takes about the same time as saying Super Nintendo Enterntainment System so the abbreviation becomes useless.

For PSX I believe it comes from a prototype name of the Playstation which got stuck with the press even after the name change. When Sony released their PS2 model named Playstation X, people started using PS1 instead to avoid confusion.

BaconBitsKing

I don't like when people call the Game Boy Advance a Game Boy instead of saying its full name. It's completely understandable why people do it, but it irks me for some reason...

zmaster18

Quote from: BaconBitsKing on May 26, 2015, 09:12:32 am
I don't like when people call the Game Boy Advance a Game Boy instead of saying its full name. It's completely understandable why people do it, but it irks me for some reason...

I don't like when complete noobs call a DS a Gameboy DS.

P

Also I don't like when people say "Game Boy Advanced" instead of Game Boy Advance.

M-Tee

PSX is what the Playstation was commonly referred to as in North America, especially prior to the introduction of the PS2. As for GCN instead of NGC, I would suspect it was to reduce confusion with the Neo Geo Pocket Color, which had come out a couple of years prior. But I could be wrong.

My gaming pet peeve:
Games that feature a computer-controlled sidekick that don't permit co-op play. New Ghostbusters 2, Mickey Mousecapade, Layla... I'm looking at  you.

hvc01

white famicoms, they look better to me cream

Zycrow

Games that replace self-evident level design and experimentation with tons of pop-up dialogues that tell you how to do every little thing - IE almost every single modern triple-A title!  ::)

Just imagine if Super Mario Bros. had a little Toad guy who popped up in 1-1 to say "Mario! You have to press A to jump over this pipe!"

Combine that with "long, unskippable intros," and you have a recipe for annoyance.  :gamer:

I guess this is why I like retro games so much.  ;D
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Nightstar699

Yeah PSX is the big one that I loathe - I've heard the argument that it was an abbreviation from before there actually WAS a PSX, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. Is the X supposed to be a roman numeral? It's the 10th iteration of the Playstation? Is the X supposed to be a variable? So it's the Playstation 2-9? Bullshit. Inaccurate drivel. "PS" would have been a perfectly suitable abbreviation at the time, "PS1" is a perfectly suitable abbreviation now.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

M-Tee

Having worked in a gamestore from the time the playstation / psone were relevant through the time the ps3 came out, including the very brief time the "psx" was hyped, all of Sony's acronym problems were on their end. Sony officially used "psx" during the playstation's development time and Sony of America supported the use of the acronym after release. There's an Edge magazine article that supports both of these (although it seemed to be a broken link when I checked).

But the number of times I had to have the "PSX? Do you mean the first Playstation or the blah blah blah." "The PS 1? Do you mean the first grey Playstation or the blah blah blah?" was atrocious.

Sony repeatedly released new products which were named after acronyms either colloquially or officially in use for former products already on the market. The fault is entirely on themselves and average consumers shouldn't be expected to keep up with the pedantry of their ill-conceived and inconsistant naming conventions.

BaconBitsKing

Quote from: Zycrow on May 29, 2015, 07:37:00 am
Games that replace self-evident level design and experimentation with tons of pop-up dialogues that tell you how to do every little thing - IE almost every single modern triple-A title!  ::)

Just imagine if Super Mario Bros. had a little Toad guy who popped up in 1-1 to say "Mario! You have to press A to jump over this pipe!"

Combine that with "long, unskippable intros," and you have a recipe for annoyance.  :gamer:

I guess this is why I like retro games so much.  ;D

I can't put into words how much I agree with this.

P

Yeah poorly made in-game tutorials are no fun. Some games have incredibly boring "training levels" that you are forced to do, are really basic, way to long and completely free of challenges or fun. Plus you probably don't need it to figure out how to play anyway.  But sometimes they do it right and manages to make a fun training mode that feels part of the game.

Quote from: M-Tee on May 29, 2015, 05:35:45 pm
Having worked in a gamestore from the time the playstation / psone were relevant through the time the ps3 came out, including the very brief time the "psx" was hyped, all of Sony's acronym problems were on their end. Sony officially used "psx" during the playstation's development time and Sony of America supported the use of the acronym after release. There's an Edge magazine article that supports both of these (although it seemed to be a broken link when I checked).

But the number of times I had to have the "PSX? Do you mean the first Playstation or the blah blah blah." "The PS 1? Do you mean the first grey Playstation or the blah blah blah?" was atrocious.

Sony repeatedly released new products which were named after acronyms either colloquially or officially in use for former products already on the market. The fault is entirely on themselves and average consumers shouldn't be expected to keep up with the pedantry of their ill-conceived and inconsistant naming conventions.
I never knew that Sony of America supported the continued use of PSX. I always thought it just got stuck with the press. I never seen it used officially by any Sony department anyway.

egg_sanwich

Some may disagree, but I can't stand pirate carts.

Obviously there are cool original games like Pokemon, Samurai Shodown etc. that weren't originally released, but I'm talking about standard bootleg games. The cheap plastic, the shitty labels. Ugh, I can't stands them!