Section Z: NES vs FDS

Started by fcgamer, June 05, 2015, 07:58:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

I was wondering what the differences are between the NES and FDS versions of Section Z, if any at all.  I have tried to watch some videos but the two seem identical, except for the fact that the FDS version has the save option and the NES version doesn't.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

UglyJoe

That's the only difference that I'm aware of, but I can't say I've done any in-depth comparisons.

Now I want to play it -- gotta find that disk ;D

UglyJoe

I dug out the disk and played it for a while tonight.  One difference is that the text that appears on screen when you find an STS will appear in Japanese instead of English.  The cutscene after the first boss is in (poor) English, but it's the same way on the NES.

Zycrow

I have a CIB copy of Section Z for the NES and something I've always found interesting about is that it comes with a little foldout map of the whole game, with markers to show where the bosses and powerups are. I've always wondered if this was present in other versions as well or if it's exclusive to the NES version.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Ghegs

Oh dang, I have a CIB Section Z as well, but I don't have such a map, didn't know it was supposed to come with one. Bummer. I did make a simple guide for myself, telling the straightest route to the finish.

Zycrow

What's odd is a quick glance down the ebay listings for Section Z show ones labeled "complete" but don't seem to have the map. I found someone's scan of it, though. It looks like this:

http://www.morningtoast.com/public/sectionz-map_full.jpg
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

fcgamer

Quote from: UglyJoe on June 11, 2015, 07:29:59 pm
I dug out the disk and played it for a while tonight.  One difference is that the text that appears on screen when you find an STS will appear in Japanese instead of English.  The cutscene after the first boss is in (poor) English, but it's the same way on the NES.

Where id this text?  Maybe I am stupid, but I have not seen any such text.

UglyJoe

Quote from: fcgamer on June 25, 2015, 04:15:09 am

Pulling this text from Strategy Wiki, since I'm lazy.  There's a screenshot there that shows you exactly where the warp is at.

Section 0 to Section 1, take top portal to Section 2.
Collect a Megasmasher from Section 2, take bottom portal to Section 3.
Defeat the two Crabs in Section 3, take top portal to Section 6.
Survive Section 6, take top portal to Section 5, then take bottom portal to Section 8

Section 8
This is an important section to visit. After you begin, a large wriggly worm enemy known as a Spratter will appear from the left side. It will take quite a few shots before being destroyed. Eventually, Gromas will begin appearing, along with cannons. Around this time, begin shooting near the floor of the section until you find the entrance to a secret room. This room is your one and only opportunity to collect the Flash Bombs, so don't miss it. The section will end with Kickers appearing from the left side along the bottom, middle, and top regions of the section. Fly to the right and focus on shooting one of the rows until the portals appear.

The text is displayed in the secret room.

fcgamer

Quote from: UglyJoe on June 25, 2015, 04:44:19 am
Quote from: fcgamer on June 25, 2015, 04:15:09 am

Pulling this text from Strategy Wiki, since I'm lazy.  There's a screenshot there that shows you exactly where the warp is at.

Section 0 to Section 1, take top portal to Section 2.
Collect a Megasmasher from Section 2, take bottom portal to Section 3.
Defeat the two Crabs in Section 3, take top portal to Section 6.
Survive Section 6, take top portal to Section 5, then take bottom portal to Section 8

Section 8
This is an important section to visit. After you begin, a large wriggly worm enemy known as a Spratter will appear from the left side. It will take quite a few shots before being destroyed. Eventually, Gromas will begin appearing, along with cannons. Around this time, begin shooting near the floor of the section until you find the entrance to a secret room. This room is your one and only opportunity to collect the Flash Bombs, so don't miss it. The section will end with Kickers appearing from the left side along the bottom, middle, and top regions of the section. Fly to the right and focus on shooting one of the rows until the portals appear.

The text is displayed in the secret room.

Thanks for the tip!

UglyJoe

Bump :pow:

I just beat the FDS version and compared the ending to the NES version.  They are slightly different.

The FDS version has your character flying away from some sort of space station as the space station slowly scrolls off of the bottom of the screen.  After a brief scene of your character flying out into the distance, it scrolls the credits.

The NES version (from what I've seen on Youtube) doesn't have the space station scroll off of the bottom.  Instead, your character just slowly moves toward the top of the screen while the space station remains in place.  It has the same scene following, but then shows just a single static credits screen -- no scrolling.

The game uses horizontal scrolling throughout.  I guess the FDS can switch between vertical and horizontal mirroring easily, whereas doing so on a cart would have required a more expensive MMC.  Just a theory, though.

P

Quote from: UglyJoe on August 07, 2015, 08:10:08 pm
The game uses horizontal scrolling throughout.  I guess the FDS can switch between vertical and horizontal mirroring easily, whereas doing so on a cart would have required a more expensive MMC.  Just a theory, though.

Your theory appears to be correct. The NES version uses UNROM, according to bootgod, where the scroll/mirroring setting is set by connecting solder pads on the cartridge. FDS games can just change it in software.