Famicom Won't Display -- HELP!

Started by Mr Game and Watch, June 08, 2015, 07:39:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Game and Watch

I just got my new Disk System (used, actually) to replace my broken one. But now, I can't get my Famicom system to display. I have an Olevia TV. When I switch to Channels 95 and 96, however, I see nothing. Even with a shielded cable and adapter I bought on eBay, nothing worked. We tried different TVs at my house, and my Magnavox VCR won't go past Channel 69. Neither will this Sharp TV from 1998 I have. So, can anyone tell me what brands and models of TVs and VCRs work best with a Famicom and Famicom Disk System, please? Thanks!
"This is where the fish lives."

hvc01

is it plugged into the wall. there is no reason it should just stop working except if it died.

look for a tv that tunes ntsc-j or ntsc-m

Mr Game and Watch

I tested its voltage, and it still works. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if it's on, other than looking at the screen. What are some examples of TVs that tune NTSC-J or NTSC-M?

hvc01

I have an ancient LG crt and a newer LG lcd and both can pick up famicom signal. So I would look for an LG tv model RT-15LA31 or CT-34M20ET. I'm not sure if they are available in US though. I live in Australia. Alternatively, you might consider an av mod. There are instructions on this forum explaining this.

Mr Game and Watch

They don't seem available in the USA, I'm afraid. Not only am I looking for a reliable NTSC-U TV that tunes in NTSC-J devices, but also a VCR. I want to be able to record footage from Famicom and Famicom Disk games, for possible reviews or playthroughs I might make, some day. Alternately, what are some suitable devices? I am skeptical about using third-party devices, because I'm afraid they could damage either my Famicom or my Famicom Disk System.

zxin

Quote from: Mr Game and Watch on June 11, 2015, 09:10:07 pm
They don't seem available in the USA, I'm afraid. Not only am I looking for a reliable NTSC-U TV that tunes in NTSC-J devices, but also a VCR. I want to be able to record footage from Famicom and Famicom Disk games, for possible reviews or playthroughs I might make, some day. Alternately, what are some suitable devices? I am skeptical about using third-party devices, because I'm afraid they could damage either my Famicom or my Famicom Disk System.
I'm not an expert on this but I really don't see it doing any harm to the Famicom.  :P
Thanks for your time,<br />~zxin

petsematary

Did you accidentally flip the channel switch on the back of the Famicom?