March 29, 2024, 03:13:35 am

Handheld Gaming

Started by fcgamer, June 17, 2015, 03:20:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

Three years ago I had been big into handheld gaming, or more specifically, GB / GBC / GBA gaming.  I used to travel up and down Taiwan all the time, primarily by rail though also sometimes by bus, and I would pass the time playing games, staring out the window, with the occasional bout of sleepiness attacking me here and there.  It was great.

I first picked up my Game Boy (again) after a long hiatus, since I have found some original unlicensed games (from Gowin) at a local shop, which moved out awhile back.  When I saw the shop I had seen the games and thought they were peculiar, but they were a bit pricey so I passed them up.  I came home, pondered on the games for a day or two, and on the weekend I then went back down to the shop to pick up the games.  More hesitation though, since I first just grabbed one copy of each, but then returned in the same day to buy the others (iirc, there were only four or five games total).  This would lead to the start of my Game Boy collection, and I would later add even more (primarily unlicensed originals) games to my collection, as I found them, and I would play the games to death when travelling.

By now I don't have the opportunity or will to travel as much.  To be honest, I have explored many of the cities inside and out, and the only places I am not as familiar with are places that are 3.5 to 4 hours away, thus really limiting access and desire.  I am also working more hours, and some in the evening as well (I swore I would never do that, but was made the offer I couldn't refuse), so my only travel time is on the weekend.  And thus, playing Game Boy went by the wayside for me.  Playing at home, there just never seemed to be a good enough light source either,

I was actually thinking about selling some of my GB stuff, since I hadn't used it in probably a year or so, but then I ended up stumbling upon an adapter that allows you to connect your GBA to the TV.  IMO this is better than a Super Game Boy or whatever version of it the Game Cube had, since my GBA can play most of the unlicensed games, wheres the other adaptors mentioned can't.  So I think I'll celebrate and play some GB tonight :)

How does everyone else feel about handheld games?
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

hvc01

L___E___T

I looooooove handheld gaming.  Even Famicom is my favourite, if I had to have only one console, Desert Island stuff then it would be a backlit GBA.

I think retro gaming and handheld gaming go hand in hand, forgive the pun.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

hvc01

I would love to convert my famicom into a portable console. It's too heavy though.

fcgamer

Quote from: L___E___T on June 17, 2015, 03:32:32 am

I looooooove handheld gaming.  Even Famicom is my favourite, if I had to have only one console, Desert Island stuff then it would be a back lit GBA.

I think retro gaming and handheld gaming go hand in hand, forgive the pun.

I had always thought about getting a backlit GBA to work around the lighting issue.  I sometimes feel that handheld gaming gets a bit overshadowed by the console stuff,
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

chowder

June 17, 2015, 04:25:18 am #5 Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:31:15 am by chowder
I have a portable Famicom (FC-Mobile) that is actually pretty decent for gaming on the move, but to be honest I mostly rely on my PSP-1000.  Flashed a custom firmware, and I installed all the emulators I need, plus a few ripped PSP games.  That I own.  Honest.

I agree about the lighting issue - I have the same problem with my GB Pocket and NGPC.  I do have an AGS-101(?) GBA SP (the one with backlighting), which I love, but just packing the PSP is a lot more convenient.

Edit: Sorry, posted too early.  I was going to say that the best thing about using emulation for on-the-move gaming are save-states - very handy when you're jumping on and off trains/buses etc.

zmaster18

I'm totally in love with my 3DS XL Zelda Gold edition. 3DS and Famicom are tied for my favourite console of all time. I especially like the streetpass features, I like playing in 3D for some games, and I like how I can play original DS as well as NES and Gameboy Virtual Console games.

nabbeth

Oh boy, here we go.

I'm in love with GB/GBC/GBA. :D
I have about 6 different GB consoles, pretty much every revision except GB Micro and GB Light.
CGB design is my favourite, it has far superior screen compared to original GB's and it still has this good old blocky shape. I was really obsessed with CGBs a few years ago, so now I have 4 different colour variation CGBs and a bunch of plastic screen protectors, battery covers, rubber pads, you name it.

Speaking of games, I don't even know where to start, honestly.
One of my favourites is The Flintstones: King Rock Treasure Island. I even used to speedrun this game. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qesbibO7m4c)
Oh, and Rhythm Tengoku! I love the series so much that I've installed RegionThree exploit to my 2DS - just to play the imported version of the latest installment of the series - Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus.

P

I've been into handheld gaming since the days of Game & Watch and still love it! I played the crap of anything Game Boy and DS (the 3DS is still quite new to me though), Nintendo are truly the king of handheld consoles. I have all Game Boys except the model variations (coloured DMGs, GB Pocket, Light, GBA Micro etc). I do have the GBA SP  though, the backlit screen is great but not as good a it is for DS Lite and 3DS.

For game recommendations I don't know even where to start. For action RPGs I always loved Seiken Densetsu and it's much better than the remake for GBA. For music games, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan for DS is great. Just make sure to get the Japanese version as the English version got some heavy localization edits (and inferior music IMHO). The Gyakuten Saiban series is also one of my all time favourite game series.

Quote from: zmaster18 on June 17, 2015, 08:03:47 am
I especially like the streetpass features, I like playing in 3D for some games, and I like how I can play original DS as well as NES and Gameboy Virtual Console games.
Yeah  you gotta love a system with an built-in fishing game. The saved the best street pass plaza DLC for last. The fishing game and zombie game are both great. Too bad that Nintendo's access points seems to have been shut down in Sweden now and people are not bringing their 3DS to town as much as they used to do so street passing has become a lot harder.
I'm currently playing a lot of Fire Emblem Awakening on my 3DS and still love it.

Quote from: fcgamer on June 17, 2015, 03:20:23 am
but then I ended up stumbling upon an adapter that allows you to connect your GBA to the TV.  IMO this is better than a Super Game Boy or whatever version of it the Game Cube had, since my GBA can play most of the unlicensed games, wheres the other adaptors mentioned can't.

What games doesn't work on the Game Boy Player? Do these games work on a normal GBA? I'm thinking of picking up a Game Boy Player one day since I noticed they are quite cheap.

zmaster18

Quote from: P on June 19, 2015, 06:32:58 am
I've been into handheld gaming since the days of Game & Watch and still love it! I played the crap of anything Game Boy and DS (the 3DS is still quite new to me though), Nintendo are truly the king of handheld consoles. I have all Game Boys except the model variations (coloured DMGs, GB Pocket, Light, GBA Micro etc). I do have the GBA SP  though, the backlit screen is great but not as good a it is for DS Lite and 3DS.

For game recommendations I don't know even where to start. For action RPGs I always loved Seiken Densetsu and it's much better than the remake for GBA. For music games, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan for DS is great. Just make sure to get the Japanese version as the English version got some heavy localization edits (and inferior music IMHO). The Gyakuten Saiban series is also one of my all time favourite game series.

Quote from: zmaster18 on June 17, 2015, 08:03:47 am
I especially like the streetpass features, I like playing in 3D for some games, and I like how I can play original DS as well as NES and Gameboy Virtual Console games.
Yeah  you gotta love a system with an built-in fishing game. The saved the best street pass plaza DLC for last. The fishing game and zombie game are both great. Too bad that Nintendo's access points seems to have been shut down in Sweden now and people are not bringing their 3DS to town as much as they used to do so street passing has become a lot harder.
I'm currently playing a lot of Fire Emblem Awakening on my 3DS and still love it.

Quote from: fcgamer on June 17, 2015, 03:20:23 am
but then I ended up stumbling upon an adapter that allows you to connect your GBA to the TV.  IMO this is better than a Super Game Boy or whatever version of it the Game Cube had, since my GBA can play most of the unlicensed games, wheres the other adaptors mentioned can't.

What games doesn't work on the Game Boy Player? Do these games work on a normal GBA? I'm thinking of picking up a Game Boy Player one day since I noticed they are quite cheap.

I just downloaded the fishing and zombie game last night! So far I'm really enjoying them! I'm not sure if becoming a streetpass VIP is worth the money, it's like $7. I will be sad when in a few years it will be impossible to streetpass people. Maybe the NX, if it is also a portable, will also have streetpass capabilities. Streetpass is way better than Miiverse in my opinion!  ;D

P

I'm not sure what the VIP room is good for other than fast access to useful Miis (when re-hiring them in the street pass games for example). But if you download it you will start collecting people's birthdays for every new/old person you meet and I guess events can happen.

Regarding street passing in the future it's already possible to connect user setup Nintendo servers online, and I'm sure there will be more options in the future. I mean the Famicom community is still kicking after 30 years!

zmaster18

Quote from: P on June 20, 2015, 11:38:02 am
I'm not sure what the VIP room is good for other than fast access to useful Miis (when re-hiring them in the street pass games for example). But if you download it you will start collecting people's birthdays for every new/old person you meet and I guess events can happen.

Regarding street passing in the future it's already possible to connect user setup Nintendo servers online, and I'm sure there will be more options in the future. I mean the Famicom community is still kicking after 30 years!

The VIP add-on gets you more plaza tickets faster. You get plaza tickets when streetpassing people on their birthday or something. You can get more plaza tickets than all the extra games combined! But I'd rather earn them from my games.

M-Tee

I'd say the NGPC is my top handheld system, but that's mostly for first party titles and that very rad d-pad.

UglyJoe

Quote from: M-Tee on June 22, 2015, 09:33:00 pm
I'd say the NGPC is my top handheld system, but that's mostly for first party titles and that very rad d-pad.

What did you say? I couldn't hear you over all that clicking. ;D

P

I don't mind the clicking. Microswitch-based arcade sticks are also clicking.

Quote from: zmaster18 on June 20, 2015, 01:24:34 pm
Quote from: P on June 20, 2015, 11:38:02 am

The VIP add-on gets you more plaza tickets faster. You get plaza tickets when streetpassing people on their birthday or something. You can get more plaza tickets than all the extra games combined! But I'd rather earn them from my games.
I see, you can technically get unlimited with tickets if you get the VIP room, while the games have a limited number of ticket possibilities.