Famicom Disc System not loading game

Started by Rockonlover, June 18, 2015, 02:16:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockonlover

Hey all!

My first post here on this forum, so excuse me if I ask questions which is already covered somewhere else here.

I just got a Famicom Disc System sent from Japan - it is brand new, meaning that it has never been used.

Its hooked up to my Famicom AV and turning them on gives me the normal title-screen with the Famicom Disc System music playing - All is fine up to this point....

... But when I insert the disc I have (Metroid - also brand new (sealed... well no longer)) it changes to "Now Loading..." and a noticeable noise is constantly heard as if something internally in the system is physically trying to move or spin, but is stuck.

I've given the system more than 5 minutes to load the game, but I have a hard time believing that this is normal.

Before I contact my seller I am curious as to what the problem could be?

hvc01

Rockonlover

June 18, 2015, 04:56:31 am #2 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:31:32 am by Rockonlover
Thanks for your reply on this.

Seems strange thought, as the Famicom is completely new and thus has never been used. Does this happen to new Famicoms?

Edit:

If the belt is the actual belt (which it should be), are these like normal rubber-bands? If so, then it makes perfect sense that they would break by now and I need to replace it.

chowder

Quote from: Rockonlover on June 18, 2015, 04:56:31 am
If the belt is the actual belt (which it should be), are these like normal rubber-bands? If so, then it makes perfect sense that they would break by now and I need to replace it.

Yes, they're similar to rubber bands and can degrade over time, so it might need replacing even if the unit's never been used before.

zmaster18

Even if the system was brand new and never used, the original belt could have dried up and cracked. The belt must be replaced.

Rockonlover

June 18, 2015, 06:49:16 am #5 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:56:37 am by Rockonlover
I will open it tonight and take a closer look inside.

Thanks again!

Post Merge: June 18, 2015, 08:56:37 am

Oh yeah, the belt was... melted or something. New belts ordered - problem solved!

Thanks all!

zmaster18

When replacing the belt, don't make any adjustments at first unless it needs it after you make the replacement. Because your system is unused, it should be calibrated perfectly. I also recommend cleaning off the old grease, which looks like earwax, and lightly coat the rails with new oil.

Rockonlover

Nice tips zmaster18!

I hope to get the new belts soon, so I look forward to getting it fixed!