Using a Japanese power supply in a American outlet?

Started by MustardBubbles, June 27, 2015, 02:19:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MustardBubbles

I am aware that its a HUGE no no to use a American NES power supply on a Famicom. But I was wondering if it was at all safe to use a traditional Japanese power supply (plugged into my Famicom) plugged into an American power outlet without the use of an expensive converter box? Because I'm just to darned scared to try it out without anyone's more expert advice.

Also as a secondary, less important question, whats the likelihood of RF input actually working on my modern day LCD TV? I'm of course using an NES RF cable on my Famicom.

NintendoKing

I've heard that it's fine but I always make sure mines plugged into a step down converter. I still wouldn't forget to unplug the powerbrick from the wall outlet though after use every time though because it will slowly damage the powerbrick.

MustardBubbles

I just want to be sure that its not 100% required. Because I just got a whole Famicom/Disk System and I don't wanna destroy either of them with a rookie mistake. But just to clarify, its not required to use a step-down converter for the Japanese power brick, in the US?

P

Maybe I shouldn't answer since I'm not in US, but I have sometimes used a 220-240 V to 115 V step-down converter for some of my Japanese systems that are rated for 100 V (mainly before I got a real 220-240 V to 100 V step-down) without trouble.

Many members here from USA say they just plug in their Japanese AC adapters in the wall without a step-down. Others says although it works it's not good for the AC adapter in the long run so you can get one later if you want.

NintendoKing

Quote from: MustardBubbles on June 27, 2015, 02:31:21 pm
I just want to be sure that its not 100% required. Because I just got a whole Famicom/Disk System and I don't wanna destroy either of them with a rookie mistake. But just to clarify, its not required to use a step-down converter for the Japanese power brick, in the US?

Yes its fine but it will damage the powerbricks, that's why you should only leave it plugged in while playing to limit damage.

zmaster18

I'm in Canada and I've had a Famicom AC adapter plugged in for like 4 years. It's fine and there shouldn't be any problems.

MustardBubbles

zmaster18

Also, it isn't likely to have RF work on your new TV. I have tried flipping through 100+ channels to see if I got a signal on both of my TVs and it simply didn't work.

FrankWDoom

You can use a Genesis model 1 AC adapter to power a famicom in the USA. It outputs DC, has correct polarity, meets the minimum rating for mA and the voltage is close enough.

HokusaiXL

Instead of supplying 10 volts out it'll put out 11 volts. (Which a famicom can handle because the 7805 can handle up to a max of 25 volts in.)
An AC adapter (which DC output is what you use on the famicom) at least the old ones are little more than a transformer, four diodes (to convert AC to DC - Bridge Rectifier) and a capacitor to reduce output ripple.
The cap is usually rated well above the output voltage, diodes are simple and difficult to burn out, and the transformer is two pairs of windings on a core (usually laminated steel in old bricks) to convert 100 volts from the wall into electromagnetic field, which is then picked up by the fewer turn winding to generate 10 volts into the diodes and cap; resulting in a moderately stable output voltage.

So all in all, if you manage to burn out an old Japanese wall wart, even if plugged into a 110 outlet, you're doing something incredibly wrong. .
I don't know how to fox. D:

waterclocker

Quote from: HokusaiXL on June 30, 2015, 02:54:00 am
Instead of supplying 10 volts out it'll put out 11 volts. (Which a famicom can handle because the 7805 can handle up to a max of 25 volts in.)
An AC adapter (which DC output is what you use on the famicom) at least the old ones are little more than a transformer, four diodes (to convert AC to DC - Bridge Rectifier) and a capacitor to reduce output ripple.
The cap is usually rated well above the output voltage, diodes are simple and difficult to burn out, and the transformer is two pairs of windings on a core (usually laminated steel in old bricks) to convert 100 volts from the wall into electromagnetic field, which is then picked up by the fewer turn winding to generate 10 volts into the diodes and cap; resulting in a moderately stable output voltage.

So all in all, if you manage to burn out an old Japanese wall wart, even if plugged into a 110 outlet, you're doing something incredibly wrong. .

I totally agree.  Years and years of using Japanese AC adapters have proven reliable for me.  Nothing to be scared of...  plus it's easy to change a 7805 if it would ever go out.