RGB mod vs. AV mod for my Famicom.

Started by MustardBubbles, July 03, 2015, 12:23:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MustardBubbles

July 03, 2015, 12:23:37 am Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:39:28 am by MustardBubbles
So, now that I'm a new proud owner of a original model Famicom, I want to actually play the darned thing! But the RF output just ain't cutting it, as my tv is too new for RF and I have no space for an old CRT monitor for RF. I've seen people mod there various NES and Famicom systems with either AV mods or RGB mods, but I really don't know which one I want to go with. An AV mod would be simpler and cost effective, but it would have a significantly lower video output quality than RGB. But to hell if I know the proper way to connect RGB to my current tv with all the use of SCRAT cables and a Framemeister (not to mention the damn price for one!). So I'm torn, should I go with a basic, simple AV mod for my Famicom and deal with the lower video quality? Or a more costly, higher quality, more complicated RGB mod? And if I were to go for the RGB mod, would anyone be able to help me with how to even set it up? Cause it seems quite pricey...
I am aware of the AV version Famicom, but I personally prefer the look of the original, just saying.

number47

Not to mention that RGB mod was designed to gray-old NES that has a lot of free space for the mod. If you'll go the RGB way then you have to get rid of cartridge lever - some have managed to fit the RGB board under the Famicom mainboard.

zmaster18

RGB mods will probably cost you at least $200 for the mod, and equipment to set it up. $200 for just a video connection? Use that money and buy a 3DS or something. AV mods are cost effective and get the job done.

P

So your TV can't take RGB? RGB will be very expensive for you.
Also I heard there are games that are incompatible with the RGB-mod. The games wasn't even made with RGB in mind, I'd say go with the AV-mod first at least.

gorgyrip

I have the RGB mod and it't great! But considering you don't know if your tv supports RGB and the fact the you don't know how to install the rgb kit, get the av mod.

NintendoKing

My AV modded one is perfectly fine by me, but I would like my AV Famicom done in RGB. A step up for each console from its original place.

MustardBubbles

July 03, 2015, 03:32:31 pm #6 Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:41:13 pm by MustardBubbles
Yeah, I guess if I ever absolutely NEEDED that pixel perfect video quality, I could save my pennies up for something fancy and un-complicated like an Analog Nt with HDMI. Or even this team of modders who I heard were doing working HDMI mods for original NES. Although I'm in no rush to get either one any time soon, I'm fine with standard definition for now. But maybe I might get something sometime in the future when the whole RGB/HDMI thing has been flushed out a bit more. Then I'll be in pixel heaven!

leonk

Let me give you a different take on the whole RGB thing. Just because you got an nesrgb in your system doesn't mean you have to use RGB. RGB is the most pure uncompressed signal it puts out. You can always use the svideo or composite video it puts out as well. For a few bucks more it also has a daughterboard that puts out 240p component. In all these cases the video is super clean with no jailbars.

The whole RGB thing has been figured out. All these new 3rd party consoles that cost $500+ all use nesrgb internally.

It's your $$ do what's best for you. But I suggest that you get unbiased opinion from people that actually experienced RGB or svideo on NES rather than people that read about it or watched a YouTube video. :)