My two week vacation away from NA

Started by fcgamer, July 07, 2015, 12:00:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

I am making a post here because I know some Famicom World members also do business / visit Nintendo Age, and I don't want anyone to get concerned / worried when doing business with me.  Why might someone worry?  Well, this is why:

Towards the end of last week, I was notified on NA that I was receiving a two-week ban penalty for repeatedly thread-crapping on threads about the sale of reproduction games.  So my two week vacation has nothing at all to do with bad selling / business practices, rather it is due to my behavior.   :-[  Since we are on this topic now, I just want to say a few things and then hang up my hat regarding the so-called battle, which I was waging.

The thread that got me the two-week ban was my comment in this thread:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=147429&StartRow=51#bottom

I must admit that I was acting like an ass going into someone else's sales thread and making snarky comments like I did.  The fact is, I wouldn't like it if the situation were reversed, and as such, I understand that I probably deserve my two-week penalty.  With that said though, I still stand by my comment in that thread, and think it highlights all that is "wrong" in the hobby today.

I think it is a bit disingenuous for the OP in that thread to hack the title screen of a game with very little text, and call it a translation.  People over at NA did the same thing with Crazy Land, etc.  If people were more frank and honest about what they were selling (modern bootlegs of Famicom exclusives) I think I might feel a bit differently, but these days people take a game with little text, call it a translation, and then cash in on it by making it some "ueber rare" "limited" game.  And then the original version of the game sells for a fraction of the price, if a buyer can even be found.

Someone on NA once even tried to do a "reproduction" of a Sachen game.  It was so funny, since the NA stance has typically been not to allow "reproductions" of games that were released in a particular format.  But this game totally slipped under the radar, until I pointed it out, and no one over there even had a clue it was a Sachen game. 

Anyway, I've said my piece and have little else to say on the matter, either now or in the future. A resource as well-known, well-used, and extensive as NA, I feel they have a responsibility for collectors worldwide of promoting an accurate, non-biased database and site; however, the database is loaded with reproduction games, and IIRC, some even have rarities.   :o  Some of the guys making these products are good friends with high / prominent members over there, so it is no wonder why the stance is the way it is.  But alas, it is what it is, and since I want to keep my NA account, I am not allowed to discuss repros over there from here on out, and as such, my part in the matter is done.

With that said, I don't like to bring drama from one forum to another, and that is not the purpose of me writing this message.  I just wanted to post it so that anyone that visits both here and there knows why I have a temporary ban on NA, and thus don't worry that I am going to take their money and run or something when we do business.

Thanks for reading guys. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

Now maybe I don't know the whole story behind this, but I don't think it's so bad to comment on dubious sell threads. Especially since your post was very civilized.

I'm not against repros on it's own but to think that they hack title screens in games and pretend that they did any real work on it then sell it bothers me. NA has some people with attitude problems so it doesn't surprise me that they can't take legitimate criticism, and ban anyone that questions their ways.

Quotethe NA stance has typically been not to allow "reproductions" of games that were released in a particular format.
I don't get this sentence. Don't they openly sell repros of released games all the time over there?

fcgamer

Quotethe NA stance has typically been not to allow "reproductions" of games that were released in a particular format.
I don't get this sentence. Don't they openly sell repros of released games all the time over there?
[/quote]

I am not authorized to make an official Nintendo Age statement, but from my understanding (what I have heard and seen time and again, when debating repros) is as follows:

The vast majority of the members there feel that it is okay to make a "repro" of a game if it was never released on a "particular format"*.  So for them to make a repro of Crazy Land, Holy Diver, Kid Dracula, etc is okay since these games were never officially released in North America.  Their other criteria then also seems to be *when* the game was made, an additional "rule" to help justify why it is okay to steal Crazy Land, yet not okay if someone steals a homebrew in like matter.

*I started a shit storm over there when I had suggested making Famicom reproduction versions of the homebrew Battle Kid game, despite the fact that it was never released in Famicom format. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

number47

July 07, 2015, 10:44:18 am #3 Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:32:46 pm by number47
Dave, don't worry about these narrow-minded hypocrites. You've done the right thing - in my opinion repro massproduction spoils the art of retro collecting. I have made a few repros my self but purely for educational purposes and my own gaming pleasure - that's the way it should be.

P

Quote from: fcgamer on July 07, 2015, 03:46:06 am
The vast majority of the members there feel that it is okay to make a "repro" of a game if it was never released on a "particular format"*.  So for them to make a repro of Crazy Land, Holy Diver, Kid Dracula, etc is okay since these games were never officially released in North America.
OK now I understand.