April 19, 2024, 07:08:24 pm

A Collecting Conundrum

Started by Protoman, July 10, 2015, 10:58:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Protoman

So I've started to collect Mega Man games, but I'm not sure I want to get ALL of the games.

First on the chopping block, Rockman/Megaman. I have Rockman 1-6 on Famicom, I am not going to collect Mega Man 1-6 on NES, as they are the same games.

But there's another case with Mega Man X3 on Playstation/Saturn when I have it on Super Famicom. But Mega Man X3 on Playstation/Saturn has "cutscenes" and different music.

And then there's Mega Man & Bass on Gameboy Advance. The only real thing it has that Rockman & Forte doesn't is english text, and having played it on emulator translated many times I'm not sure that's such a big selling point anymore.

How would you guys handle this?

Nightstar699

My recommendation: Just get the titles that you want to have. Besides, you don't have to collect every variant on earth to have "all" the Mega Man games. Otherwise you might as well break it down even further, and go for minor variants like NES carts with different Nintendo seal shapes, and stupid details like that.

You already have Rockman X3, and Rockman & Forte. They're out of the way. You shouldn't feel like you "have" to get their alternate releases unless you want to experience them in a different way.

And personally, I'd TOTALLY recommend the Saturn/PS version of X3 just because I adore that J-pop OP theme.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

I agree with Nightstar. Capcom is notorious for releasing tons of sequels and variations of their best selling games, and Rockman games aren't always cheap.

Start with getting what games in the series you really want.

fcgamer

I agree with the others as well.  I'd get the games I wanted to particularly own, and if I found the others cheap somewhere, pick them up in that fashion, sort of as a bonus.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

M-Tee

At the most extreme, get the version of each you personally think is best.

L___E___T

You could just get the collections for GameCube / PS2 :D
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Zycrow

Personally, the altered sound in the "Collection" version of X3 is a dealbreaker. Kills the game for me. I love those characteristic SNES sound effects. (But, I am kind of an audiophile.)

So yeah I'd agree with above sentiments. If you don't feel the tug of completionism, just buy the games in a form you find playable.

Then play them all in chronological order.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Protoman

Quote from: Zycrow on July 16, 2015, 06:14:27 am
Then play them all in chronological order.

Speaking of chronology, I've beaten Mega Man 1 through 10, with the exception of 8 (the jetbike stage in Wily's castle gives me nightmares)
WIth X I haven't beat X5 - X8 (I have 5 and 6 but with Ultimate Armor, which is basically cheating)
Battle Network I've all beaten with cheats except 1, working on 2 and the others now.