FDS Expansion Port Discovery

Started by FamiForever, July 19, 2015, 12:53:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FamiForever

As many FDS owners know, there is an unused expansion port on the RAM adapter.  The French NES used a special RGB scart connector output.  Why does that matter you ask?  Well I'm 99% sure they use the same connector.
French NES: http://retro-gamer.co.uk/image/cache/data/consoles/nes-console-101123-3-1600x1600.jpg
I don't think putting the scart cable in the port would do anything, but still pretty cool!  ;D

famiac

I don't think that really means anything useful...

P

You mean AV-connector? Does the French NES really have RGB?

Pikkon

The french nes can only output composite.

chowder

Does anyone know what that port was intended for originally?  Or was it actually used?

FamiForever

Quote from: famiac on July 19, 2015, 01:20:33 pm
I don't think that really means anything useful...

Yeah, I know, but I just thought it would interesting to post.
Quote from: Pikkon on July 20, 2015, 01:52:49 am
The french nes can only output composite.

The French NES doesn't use the normal RF modulator that NTSC and PAL consoles used.  Since France uses SECAM, they made a converter where the modulator should go that converts the signal to RGB.  So, its composite converted to RGB.
Quote from: chowder on July 20, 2015, 02:23:01 am
Does anyone know what that port was intended for originally?  Or was it actually used?

I don't know of anything official uses, but there are unlicensed adapters that allow you to write disks and dump them to a PC.

P

Could you give an example of one of those unlicensed adapters that uses the port?

Quote from: chowder on July 20, 2015, 02:23:01 am

Probably just an expansion port without any specific plans.

FamiForever

Quote from: P on July 20, 2015, 06:58:33 am
Could you give an example of one of those unlicensed adapters that uses the port?

Adapter: http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=98
You need to get a whole bunch of other stuff and mod the disk system before you use it though.  There's tutorials on famicomdisksystem.com if you really want to use them.

P

Oh the FDSloader. It doesn't go into the expansion port though, it goes into the cable end of the RAM Adapter.

HokusaiXL

Someone should probe the expansion port to see what comes out of it.  I know someone here has to have electronic lab equipment.
I don't know how to fox. D:

FamiForever

Quote from: P on July 20, 2015, 03:29:09 pm
Oh the FDSloader. It doesn't go into the expansion port though, it goes into the cable end of the RAM Adapter.

Whoops, I should of looked closer at it.  Looks like nothing uses the port.
Quote from: HokusaiXL on July 21, 2015, 10:18:45 am
Someone should probe the expansion port to see what comes out of it.  I know someone here has to have electronic lab equipment.

I would love to try the French scart cable in it, but I can't seem to find one in the US.  Oh well, it probably won't work anyway since the ram adapter is a cartridge and shouldn't have video out from the 60pin connector or itself.

ImATrackMan

All I know about it is thatvone of the pins is a filtered but unmixed FDS audio output.

FamiForever

All I know about it is thatvone of the pins is a filtered but unmixed FDS audio output.

I'm pretty sure you mean the NES expansion port.

ImATrackMan

Quote from: FamiForever on July 24, 2015, 12:11:35 pm
I'm pretty sure you mean the NES expansion port.

Nope. This pin is a fully mixed (I was mistaken) Famicom audio+RP2C33 output

FamiForever

July 25, 2015, 12:12:25 pm #14 Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:48:55 pm by FamiForever
Quote from: ImATrackMan on July 24, 2015, 06:45:11 pm
Nope. This pin is a fully mixed (I was mistaken) Famicom audio+RP2C33 output

Oh, well I'm going to have to try that!

Post Merge: July 27, 2015, 02:48:55 pm

Well, I tried it and of course it worked.  Still there's no real reason to use it.  At least on mine it buzzes just as much as the Famicom.  Oh well. :(