Namcot early cart opening.

Started by RawSteelUT, July 27, 2015, 03:27:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RawSteelUT

Hey all.

Just got me some Namcot games off eBay (Pac-Man, Mappy, Pac-Land and Mappyland), and I'm trying to open the carts so I can properly clean the connectors.  However, I don't seem to be able to get the job done.  I'm told that these early Namcot games have a screw somewhere under the front label, but I'm having trouble finding it, and it's driving me to an inch of my sanith.  Seriously, I need help, before I blow up.  Sooo, anyone know how the hell to open that particular kind of cratridge?  I don't wanna just keep tugging at it, but I'm not sure what else to do.

:help: :help: :help:

hvc01

I would clean them from the outside like normal. The plastic gets brittle with age and could break.

RawSteelUT

Tried that with pac-land (after failing to open the fucking thing for a half hour), but GOODNESS those connections were dirty.  Whoever owned these before me did NOT take care of them.

hvc01

The main problem it seems you have sorted out then. Dirty connectors are the most common reason for the games not working.  :)

HVC-Man

You can't really open Namcot cartridges, the plastic is just too brittle and stiff to be opened without cracking. Same goes for a lot of Taito cartridges too.

zmaster18

I've never had to open a  famicom cartridge to clean it, pins and plastic. I was always afraid of breaking the plastic. It is also time consuming. It takes me about 5 hours to completely clean 100 carts using my 3 step technique.

fredJ

I have never opened a cart to clean it and I sometimes clean 20 in a day or so.  :) (must have cleaned thousands of games)
Just need a good q-tip and a good cleaning substance.
Isopropanol is often not enough.
I don't know why people say they have to open up their carts. :)
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com