Games you actually play for score

Started by zmaster18, July 30, 2015, 05:30:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Yeah I figured it's hard to give advice when you don't know what kind of game it is.

It's still very early in production and I'm only working on it in my free time, so development is slow (not to mention I'm not really a programmer and have never made a real Famicom game before). The project name I gave it is MAZE GAME so it's a top-down view game (easier physics than a platformer). Not much more than that has been decided although I had some ideas when I started and depending and how easy it proves to be, I might make it into either an action game (think Pacman/Bomberman) a puzzle game (think Eggerland) or a mix of the two. If it goes into the puzzle game direction, a scoring system might feel like out of place and be there just because most other games has scoring as someone here said. But who knows, I might get creative with it.

I have almost got moving to work correctly, and I have a decent sound engine (hard stuff to make, took a lot of time) that can play songs similar to sheet music (song data consist of note length, pitch, rests, repeats etc). I want it to be NTSC, PAL and Dendy compatible but I currently have trouble with the tempo.

JoshyBoshy

Digdug is the only game I play for score.

M-Tee

I play tsone's 2048 for score. It's by far my favorite version of the game.

BaconBitsKing

Mostly any Famicom game a score with no ending. I also play Super Mario Bros. 1-3 and Castlevania for score.

chowder

Donkey Kong.  With a set number of lives and levels (the "kill-screen" in Donkey Kong's case), plus a timer that gives you less bonus the longer you take, you're forced to find a trade off between speed and point pressing to get a high a score as possible.  Very addictive!

M-Tee

Quote from: P on August 04, 2015, 03:54:12 pm
Yeah I figured it's hard to give advice when you don't know what kind of game it is.

It's still very early in production and I'm only working on it in my free time, so development is slow (not to mention I'm not really a programmer and have never made a real Famicom game before). The project name I gave it is MAZE GAME so it's a top-down view game (easier physics than a platformer). Not much more than that has been decided although I had some ideas when I started and depending and how easy it proves to be, I might make it into either an action game (think Pacman/Bomberman) a puzzle game (think Eggerland) or a mix of the two. If it goes into the puzzle game direction, a scoring system might feel like out of place and be there just because most other games has scoring as someone here said. But who knows, I might get creative with it.

I have almost got moving to work correctly, and I have a decent sound engine (hard stuff to make, took a lot of time) that can play songs similar to sheet music (song data consist of note length, pitch, rests, repeats etc). I want it to be NTSC, PAL and Dendy compatible but I currently have trouble with the tempo.

KHan Games over at NA just released a "top-down maze game," a box-pusher, Eggerland style, and its point sytem is a "lowest # of moves" system, and works very well. Demo download in link.

P

Sounds like something I had in mind. I can't find the link though. Do you need to be a member on NA to see it or am I just not looking hard enough?

chowder

Quote from: P on August 30, 2015, 11:16:43 am
Sounds like something I had in mind. I can't find the link though. Do you need to be a member on NA to see it or am I just not looking hard enough?

I'm a member at NA, and I can't see the link either.  The demo is available on his Facebook page though (and you don't need to be a member):

https://www.facebook.com/khangames1

Ghegs

It took me a while to find the link as well, it's there as an attachment to the first post. Search for the text "demo.nes" on your browser and you'll find it.

I'm not sure why people are comparing this to Lolo, though. It's a Sokoban clone, plain and simple. I happen to love Sokoban so this is a good thing for me, I'm bummed out that the Famicom's only Sokoban titles were for the FDS.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Ghegs on August 30, 2015, 12:12:13 pm
I'm bummed out that the Famicom's only Sokoban titles were for the FDS.

Ochin ni Toshi Puzzle Tonjan!? has Sokoban elements and is on a cart.

P

I'm sure there where some more classic Sokoban game for cartridge as well?

It took me a while to find the link as well, it's there as an attachment to the first post. Search for the text "demo.nes" on your browser and you'll find it.

I'm not sure why people are comparing this to Lolo, though. It's a Sokoban clone, plain and simple. I happen to love Sokoban so this is a good thing for me, I'm bummed out that the Famicom's only Sokoban titles were for the FDS.

Still can't find it. I guess you need to be a member to see attachment links. I got it through the Facebook link though.

So it's just Sokoban with pixel-based movement. My puzzle game idea would have Sokoban-style box pushing as part of solving the puzzles (much like Eggerland) and tile-based movement. But it would be an unique game that includes using spells like fire, ice, wind and so on.

Ghegs

August 31, 2015, 07:34:07 am #26 Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:23:54 pm by Ghegs
Quote from: UglyJoe on August 30, 2015, 02:58:45 pm
I'm bummed out that the Famicom's only Sokoban titles were for the FDS.

Ochin ni Toshi Puzzle Tonjan!? has Sokoban elements and is on a cart.

That's true, thanks for the reminder. Still, not a pure Sokoban like the FDS-only title Namida No Sokoban Special. And yeah, that's the only (officially released) classic Sokoban game available on the NES/Famicom/FDS.

The pixel-based movement in The Incident was the cause of most of my level restarts. Sokoban traditionally has tile-based movement and it threw me off quite a few times. There doesn't seem to be a good reason for it to be that way either, other than to be a Special Snowflake anyway. In Lolo the pixel-based movement is a proper design choice, since you sometimes want to push a block only halfway in.

(EDIT: I derped, Lolo's movement isn't exactly pixel-based, it's more like half-tile-based or something.)

Also P, your game interests me and I wish to hear more as it develops.

P

Sure! :D Just don't expect too much updates soon though. I'll be busy with work for some time.

Yeah pixel-based movement in a game like that is annoying me too. Tile-based is a little harder to do than pixel-based movement, but since he used tile-based movement for the boxes, he could've used the same movement code for the main character. So it's not because he was lazy.

I've managed to do pixel-based movement by looking at how Final Fantasy did it. But besides sound, I haven't done much more than that. Going to figure out a way to store levels without them taking too much ROM space next.