FDSStick appreciation thread :)

Started by chowder, August 05, 2015, 08:22:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brandonx76

Thanks all...re: Disk/copywrite error, I went back and updated the stick with latest software, then I also watched the youtube video on how to use (actually unplugging the FDSstick and plugging it in after turning on system), and pressing right to see selectable files, everything seemed to work fine doing that method.

QQ, say I have multiple games on the disk, I need to press the button in order of location of disk. So for example, .say I need to flip to side B for the 3rd game on the FDStick, I would need to hit the button 6 times to get the system to see side B?

Just wanted to make sure I understood the process.  Lots of button clicking if I have multiple disks on the system so wanted to make sure this was the only way to access etc.

FDS is a reall cool solution nonetheless!

Great Hierophant

Quote from: brandonx76 on June 15, 2016, 08:32:55 am
QQ, say I have multiple games on the disk, I need to press the button in order of location of disk. So for example, .say I need to flip to side B for the 3rd game on the FDStick, I would need to hit the button 6 times to get the system to see side B?

Just wanted to make sure I understood the process.  Lots of button clicking if I have multiple disks on the system so wanted to make sure this was the only way to access etc.

No, that was the old method which is no longer used.  The modern method is you just select the game you want to play from the menu.  This loads side A of your game.  If the game asks for side B, you press the button twice.  If the game asks for side A, you press the button once.  When you want to play a different game, you turn off your console and turn it back on, then select the new game from the menu.  Again this loads side A, press the button twice for B and once for A.  For a two sided game, you never press the button more than twice at a time.

Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

cadillake

i finally ended my read write cable and everithing is wokring great i am able to read and write games to disks, this is great now i just need blank disk hehe

loopy

Price drop, yo.
Got a new batch of boards in with bigger flash.

Raverrevolution

July 29, 2016, 11:37:21 am #79 Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:46:15 am by Raverrevolution
Umm wow, $12??  I think I might actually order a second for that price.

Update: Ordered my second one, because I really wanted to fit every single game on this thing.  We can fit every game on it now right?

loopy

Pretty sure.  Unless you're counting every Super Mario Bros. graphics hack, which there are an infinite number of.

Ghegs

Will the price on Tototek change also?

loopy

Probably, that's up to him.  I sent him new boards but his shop isn't updated yet.

(my site tells you to buy from Tototek if you're outside the U.S., but it will still take your order... you can buy from my site if you want to)

UglyJoe

I actually like the FDS's click-whir-wait, as I think it's part of the experience.  But at this price I'll get a FDSStick just for curiosity's sake ;D

Ghegs

Quote from: loopy on July 29, 2016, 12:49:07 pm
Probably, that's up to him.  I sent him new boards but his shop isn't updated yet.

(my site tells you to buy from Tototek if you're outside the U.S., but it will still take your order... you can buy from my site if you want to)

Think I'll take you up on that, thanks. Made the purchase now. I see Tototek has changed his price now as well.

Guess I gotta look around a bit for the RAM Adapter as well then.

There aren't really that many FDS games I'm interested in (and most of the ones I am I've gotten the official cart versions of), but I do want to support a good thing.

Great Hierophant

I wish I had waited a week, I thought my FDSStick was getting quite the upgrade from 4M to 128M, but now with this new 256M and the lower price, I may start to  :'(
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

famifan

Quote from: Ghegs on July 29, 2016, 12:30:00 pm
Will the price on Tototek change also?

it was updated on 7/30  :)
i've just ordered one pcs of fdsstick.

YoshiFan501

256M?

You can fit the whole FDS Library on that thing at least twice

Raverrevolution

Quote from: Great Hierophant on July 30, 2016, 07:06:44 am
I wish I had waited a week, I thought my FDSStick was getting quite the upgrade from 4M to 128M, but now with this new 256M and the lower price, I may start to  :'(

If it makes you feel any better I first started by buying one of the very early 4M models like you did.  The post office screwed up on something with the package, but that got figured out and like a couple of months after getting it the 128M model came out.

Loopy was cool enough to send me what I needed to upgrade the chip on mine which I successfully did, but holy crap it was small and precise soldering.

And now we have this one.  256M Ohhhh yeah!!  Just be happy he's giving us a total break on the price!  As this is something I desperately wished was made since I bought my FDS years ago I need to throw my support in.

RoryDropkick

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... I just got my  2nd FDSStick in and I've managed to make it work with just one disk image on the stick. However, I try to load multiple games on the stick and either it crashes on me before the menu pops up, I get the menu and it crashes when I try to move the cursor, or I select a game and get ERR. 20.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I am using the FDSStick gui loader to load my games, and honestly while I do have a good supply of my own disks, I'm using a goodrom set to load from for the games.