FDSStick appreciation thread :)

Started by chowder, August 05, 2015, 08:22:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Hierophant

When they were first released and could be ordered on the website. a 3-D printed enclosure was available.  Now loopy makes injection molded enclosures available.
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Raverrevolution

I just wanted to give a shout out to Loopy for his incredible support on his product.  He is very prompt and helpful!

With his help I was able to upgrade my original FDSStick.  I took on the soldering myself, but managed fine.  It's super tough and not for beginners.

The new menu and amount of space on the new chip is awesome!!!  I absolutely love this thing  ;D

Jedi Master Baiter

I have to ask you, Raverrevolution, how does selecting disk sides work?

In the video, it looks like the FDSStick was just plugged in and went to the menu on its own.

Raverrevolution

Yeah, that's exactly how it works.  You plug it in and once you turn on the system it automatically takes over and goes to its own menu.  Once you choose a game it'll start.  1 button press is for side 1, 2 button presses are for side 2, and if you hold the button down the disk ejects although I haven't had a need for that yet so I haven't tested it.

Great Hierophant

If you need more reason to appreciate the FDSStick, the latest software, released two days ago, allow you to load games directly from your PC without flashing them.  Just keep your FDSStick inserted into the USB port and connect the other end to the FDS RAM Adapter.  Use the Windows console program's new tab to select the game and change disk sides.  It worked for me with Metroid, which is a bit finicky when it comes to saving and loading.
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

cadillake

just received my fdsstick, and is awesome!!! next step read and write, i have to get the av cables and do the cable, and see if my disk system is able to hehe

YoshiFan501

loopy

By the way, there was another software update recently, with speed improvements and adding support for Game Doctor ("copier") hardware.  It also checks for updates automatically now, so you don't need to watch for announcements on forums like this anymore  ::)

YoshiFan501

Quote from: loopy on April 06, 2016, 09:55:00 am
By the way, there was another software update recently, with speed improvements and adding support for Game Doctor ("copier") hardware.  It also checks for updates automatically now, so you don't need to watch for announcements on forums like this anymore  ::)

Nice!!!

mfm

Anyone knows what "Game Doctor disk format is fully supported." means? I have FDSStick and also an MGD1 but what exactly is supported?

loopy

April 07, 2016, 11:16:14 pm #70 Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:32:32 pm by loopy
http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/game-doctor-copiers/
Copier devices use a different file format (I mean PC files here, the format of data on the disk itself is the same).
This is because of a limitation of the .FDS file format, its disks are a fixed size.  Many games made for Game Doctor are larger than a standard disk (about 65k) and can't be stored as an .FDS file.

brandonx76

I ran into a problem trying to play some copy protected games (The 3dMaze runner, Fūun Shōrin Ken: Ankoku no Maō) using the FDStick, anyone have a decent work around?     >:( ;D

loopy

Hmm... not sure, I'll check them out.

Great Hierophant

Quote from: brandonx76 on June 13, 2016, 04:33:51 pm
I ran into a problem trying to play some copy protected games (The 3dMaze runner, Fūun Shōrin Ken: Ankoku no Maō) using the FDStick, anyone have a decent work around?     >:( ;D

I cannot speak to the second game, but if you are trying to play Tobidase Daisakusen (released for the NES as 3-D Battles of the Worldrunner), then your disk image is almost certainly missing a file or is corrupt.  This triggers the copy protection.

loopy

Both are working for me (I haven't played them completely though).  What problem are you seeing?  Maybe it's as Great Heirophant says.