Appropriate Time Frame for paying for auctions

Started by fcgamer, August 29, 2015, 07:06:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

I am wondering what you guys think the appropriate time frame is for paying for auctions and stuff like that online.  I have in the past three months had two situations, where I was unable to pay for items since the seller cancelled the transaction after two or three days of no payment, and likewise, I have had situations where I have purchased something from someone and they then took their good old time sending it out, despite me paying rapidly.

So maybe I am just dealing with shitty people, or maybe I am being unreasonable myself.  I live a busy life though, don't have internet on my smartphone, and am not addicted to modern technology.  So that brings me to the question:  is it really THAT rude / bad to wait three or four days to pay for an auction?  I don't think the time frame seems unreasonable, and it wouldn't have been unreasonable ten or fifteen years ago when I first started buying things online.  Or am I just out-of-touch with modern auction expectations?  Thanks.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

M-Tee

I'd say up to a week to pay. Then up to a week to ship.

Jedi Master Baiter

August 29, 2015, 11:51:24 pm #2 Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:50:45 pm by Jedi QuestMaster
As a seller, I have no problems waiting for a payment as long as the buyer is communicating. I'll get the typical I have to wait until my next paycheck explanation. I understand that, but if payday is after two weeks, then I have a problem with that.

But as a buyer, I make sure to pay within 2 days. That should be enough time to see if you've won an auction and received an invoice.

Sometimes buyers explicitly state how many days they expect to be paid. Speaking of which, is that immediate payment required available for anything? How much time is immediate? ???

L___E___T

August 30, 2015, 07:52:05 am #3 Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:19:39 am by L___E___T
As a seller, you can set it to immediate payment required, which means if someone wants it, they have to pay right there and then.  No 'you bought this' setup - it's straight to cart or no dice.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

pic-mirandole

Luke is right about the option for instant payment when confirming "Buy it now" option which should suit you if you cannot wait or if you'd rather not wait.

As for the fact that people may delay payment, communication is a key parameter to tolerate lags in the due payment with respect of "usual" duration for payment.

For example, as a buyer, I've not always time to ask the seller questions before the the end of the auction if I'm discovering it too late (but not for bidding  :D) which relates to shipping  option (tracking in both countries) & cost, declaration of the value, This is probably due to past experiences where some precautions have not been taken before (for example, USPS international shipping does not necessarily include tracking in the US AND in the country when the parcel is assumed to be shipped which would raise some problem when uncommon delays occur...). If you compensate this (unwilling) delay by communicating in order to ensure that baseline of the transaction is well understood by keeping "polite" and patient (and having prompt response from the buyer which shows his/her fair motivation), I think people are respectful enough to "tolerate" that time because it could take part of the "good points" of the feedback when you leave it after the transaction (especially on the communication). This is my understanding of the Ebay "communauty"...

I don't say it is not good not to require prompt payment, but just it has to be mentioned very carefully and clearly in the auction by the seller (there are some auctions when people indicates that they won't accept any questions after the auction for people who found it "too late" for dropping lines of questions with capital letters as a warning as a filter for quick payment, which I totally understand. The advantage of such approach is that it makes the "potential buyer" think a little more before making his decision...

Pic.

MaxXimus

I would say it depends on the situation, but as stated, communication is key. I have made purchases in the past and then sent the seller a message saying I needed a week to collect funds, and usually they are totally fine with that. Likewise I am fine waiting a week to have things shopped out, but only if I am made aware of the intended ship date.

fcgamer

Well I smoothed the situation over with the seller this time around, and it looks like I will be picking up my package today :) 

I still maintain though that two days after winning an auction (especially when it is on a weekend) is more than reasonable when it comes to payment.  If it were a week or something, imo that would be different though.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

manuel

Up to a week should be acceptable.
When I buy something I usually try to pay within 24 hours or 2 days max.

Shumi Nagaremono

Just don't wait until 6:00pm on Friday to pay and then complain when it can't go out until Monday, and I'm a happy seller.

80sFREAK

1. It must be stated in the listing, when and how you have to pay.
2. If not stated - 1week.
3. communication might be endless, so if you are seller, read #1
period...
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy