Turbo pad recommendations?

Started by Zycrow, September 16, 2015, 08:58:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zycrow

Anyone have recommendations for a good quality turbo pad for the FC? I'm looking for something not terribly expensive, so it doesn't matter to me if it's vintage or not. I'd prefer a pad to an arcade stick.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

NintendoKing

Zycrow

Thanks!

I did actually know of the Joycard (thanks, Gamecenter CX!), although I saw that they go for 35-40 bucks on ebay and I wasn't sure if it was more of a collector's item or a quality item. I can budget for that if it's the best option, but I did want to see if there was something comparable that goes for a lower price.

chowder

Quote from: Zycrow on September 16, 2015, 11:14:37 am
Thanks!

I did actually know of the Joycard (thanks, Gamecenter CX!), although I saw that they go for 35-40 bucks on ebay and I wasn't sure if it was more of a collector's item or a quality item. I can budget for that if it's the best option, but I did want to see if there was something comparable that goes for a lower price.

Just be patient and keep looking.  I've seen them go for $10 on eBay before, or perhaps post in the trading forum to see if anyone can help you out :)

zmaster18

Hudson pads are great and so are ones made by Hori. I think they are worth the US$25 they seem to go for.

My pad of choice is the black Hudson Sansui:

This controller is nice and big and great for big hands. The cable is about 5ft long and you get rapid fire. What's different about this controller is that it actually has a headphone jack to listen to the game music!! There is also a '3D' sound mode too. Basically when you press right on the d-pad, the sound is louder in the right ear. Press left, and the sound is louder in the left. The 3D sound is kinda annoying, but having the headphone jack is very helpful!

Zycrow

Quote from: zmaster18 on September 16, 2015, 07:18:54 pm
Hudson pads are great and so are ones made by Hori. I think they are worth the US$25 they seem to go for.

My pad of choice is the black Hudson Sansui:

This controller is nice and big and great for big hands. The cable is about 5ft long and you get rapid fire. What's different about this controller is that it actually has a headphone jack to listen to the game music!! There is also a '3D' sound mode too. Basically when you press right on the d-pad, the sound is louder in the right ear. Press left, and the sound is louder in the left. The 3D sound is kinda annoying, but having the headphone jack is very helpful!

Now that looks beautiful. And actually while cruising ebay I noticed a couple of those same Sansui models for the American NES as well. I was thinking about picking up a Max or Advantage, but I may just have to grab one of those instead...

Ghegs

My solution is to skip the turbo pad entirely and play using a Turbo Blaster instead. It's a NES peripheral so you'll need an AV Famicom, but with it I can take any controller with a NES plug  (I just use the normal dogbone controllers) and have turbo functions on it. And I can even set the rate of the turbo fire. It's awesome.

DDCecil

Quote from: Ghegs on September 17, 2015, 07:28:53 am
My solution is to skip the turbo pad entirely and play using a Turbo Blaster instead. It's a NES peripheral so you'll need an AV Famicom, but with it I can take any controller with a NES plug  (I just use the normal dogbone controllers) and have turbo functions on it. And I can even set the rate of the turbo fire. It's awesome.

I thought I was the only on Earth that owned one of these beauties.  ;)

Ghegs

I got mine quite a few years ago and it has never left my AV Famicom. I guess it's a tad rare nowadays? Don't see a single one available on eBay at the moment.

XC-3730C

What's a good turbo pad that has separate turbo buttons? I like the idea of switching from regular buttons to turbo buttons on the fly.

Perhaps a SNES shaped pad ?

Zycrow

Quote from: XC-3730C on September 28, 2015, 10:24:23 pm
What's a good turbo pad that has separate turbo buttons? I like the idea of switching from regular buttons to turbo buttons on the fly.

Perhaps a SNES shaped pad ?

As a kid I frequently used the NES Max. Nice ergonomic shape and separate A/B turbo buttons. The roll pad thing took a bit of getting used to but I liked it.

EDIT: Although if you're talking about Famicom, I'm not sure.

AlexRUS

I use Hudson's Joycard with my Famicom. :)
Works perfectly for me with the games, where I need to use turbo function.

Sometimes I use my Dendy Junior Famiclone controller, but without an adapter for connecting bootleg 15-pin controllers to Famicom, it's unusable for me on original hardware, it would work as a 2nd player controller.
That adapter looks like this: https://youtu.be/8eDCF8sxHVo