Just got NES to Famicom adapter. Few questions.

Started by BrianC, September 27, 2015, 02:33:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianC

Hi. I just got an the NES to FC board adapter sold by gamedoctorhk. I like it quite a bit despite it not working with a handful of games like Gauntlet and CVIII (which I heard is an easy fix. Is there a schematic on how to do this? I do have a working NES and got the adapter mainly to have a system that plays NES games in more than one room).

I know you can play Zapper games by using the hack at http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/nes-zapper-on-av-famicom/, a homemade adapter for the expansion port, or JP Zapper in the expansion port. Does this first modification cause any problems with 3+ player games like Moreo Twinbee, Bomberman II, or some Kunio spinoffs?

I also tried the US Arkanoid, which works, but doesn't work with the US Vaus or the Arkanoid II controller. I'm puzzled by the latter since it's a JP controller and works fine with Arkanoid II. I also read the Arkanoid II Vaus works with Arkanoid 1 JP? I might get a JP Araknoid 1 controller to use in 2p with Arkanoid II, but I'm not sure if that would work with US Arkanoid 1 on a JP FC since the Arkanoid II Vaus doesn't work with it. Am I stuck with using the NES controller on Arkanoid 1 US on a Famicom, or would the JP Arkanoid 1 or the US controller with an adapter work?

CZroe

It's very likely that the extra pins the Arkanoid controller uses were routed to the EXT port in the AV Famicom just like the Zapper pins. If the Zapper mod does not work then you may have to find additional pins to reroute.

P

Hi. I just got an the NES to FC board adapter sold by gamedoctorhk. I like it quite a bit despite it not
working with a handful of games like Gauntlet and CVIII (which I heard is an easy fix. Is there a schematic on
how to do this? I do have a working NES and got the adapter mainly to have a system that plays NES games
in more than one room).

Famicom pin 48 and 49 are often bridged and not connected to anything on most adapters.
They need to be cut apart if they are bridged and be properly wired for MMC5 games (like NES CVIII), Gauntlet,
Rad Racer 2, After Burner and flashcarts (for expansion sound) to work properly.
Try this fix:
QuoteThe fix is simple enough, first cut the trace on the Famicom cartridge edge between pins 48 and 49.
Next, solder a wire from NES pin 58 to Famicom pin 49.
Finally, solder another wire from NES pin 57 to Famicom pin 48.

From: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.se/2014/10/famicom-av-issues-and-solutions.html

Quote from: BrianC on September 27, 2015, 02:33:16 pm
I know you can play Zapper games by using the hack at http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/nes-zapper-on-av-famicom/,
a homemade adapter for the expansion port, or JP Zapper in the expansion port. Does this first modification cause any
problems with 3+ player games like Moreo Twinbee, Bomberman II, or some Kunio spinoffs?

Yes as Czroe said, the NES Arkanoid Vaus uses D3 and D4
just like the Zapper, so the same mod should work. Shouldn't affect 3+ player games, since you only add the two
missing lines to the controller port. You don't remove them from the expansion port.

Quote from: BrianC on September 27, 2015, 02:33:16 pm
I also tried the US Arkanoid, which works, but doesn't work with the US Vaus or the Arkanoid II controller. I'm puzzled by the latter since it's a JP controller and works fine with Arkanoid II. I also read the Arkanoid II Vaus works with Arkanoid 1 JP? I might get a JP Araknoid 1 controller to use in 2p with Arkanoid II, but I'm not sure if that would work with US Arkanoid 1 on a JP FC since the Arkanoid II Vaus doesn't work with it. Am I stuck with using the NES controller on Arkanoid 1 US on a Famicom, or would the JP Arkanoid 1 or the US controller with an adapter work?

NES Arkanoid and Famicom Arkanoid reads the controller differently so they are incompatible with each others controllers. There's no difference between Arkanoid I and II controllers (or at least Nesdev Wiki doesn't mention any) both should work with the Famicom games but not the NES games.

Edit: What the heck happened with the post width? I modified my post and added extra line breaks to make it narrower.