Suitable TRS (or TRRS?) jack for Famicom AV mod

Started by chowder, September 28, 2015, 11:43:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chowder

Hi!

Can anyone suggest a source for a 2.5mm TRS jack for AV modding purposes?  The cable I have has 2 RCA plugs, one for composite video and the other for mono sound.  I'm guessing I need a 3 pole jack (tip/ring for video/audio or vice versa and sleeve for ground), is that correct?  I'm guessing I could use TRRS too and just connect both rings to the audio.

I'm really having problems finding any...  Worst case scenario I could probably steal one from a broken handheld Famiclone I have and try to guess the wiring.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Rob.

80sFREAK

ebay.co.uk There is also UK sellers, not only chinese. It's a standart 3.5mm stereo jack
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

chowder

Yeah, I can find 3.5mm jacks, but the cable I already have has a 2.5mm plug.  Maybe I'll just have to change my plans if 3.5mm is the only type readily available.  Thanks :)

80sFREAK

2.5mm is less common. You still can find it around cellphones and handheld radios. I would go for 3.5mm - easier to mount and more common part.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

FAMICOM_87

yes 3.5mm is better :) I used it to mod my famicom it is good idea  8)

chowder

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on September 29, 2015, 01:11:03 am
yes 3.5mm is better :) I used it to mod my famicom it is good idea  8)

I've read that some of the cables are wired differently, how is yours set up?  Tip for video or audio, and the sleeve part nearest the cable for ground?  Does your plug have 2 rings or 1?

80sFREAK

Why bother, just solder AV cable - you already have hardwired controllers

chowder

Quote from: 80sFREAK on September 29, 2015, 02:21:56 am
Why bother, just solder AV cable - you already have hardwired controllers

I've done that before, I thought I'd try something new (to me, anyway) this time :)  It seems like it would be an elegant solution, it appeals to me aesthetically.

zmaster18

The 2.5mm jack is tough to find. Once I ordered a bunch of 3.5mm cables and got 2.5mm instead :( I totally got a refund for that. I still have about 30+ useless cables because so many people messed up my order before I got what I wanted.

Stick to the 3.5mm jack and cable. I also use a mono video cable because it is easier to find the right jack.
If you need some cables or jacks in bulk, I can hook you up. I have a few varieties and I don't need them.

FAMICOM_87

September 29, 2015, 09:21:06 am #9 Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:38:25 am by FAMICOM_87
I used stereo jack, (one pin one ring and ground, it is no important where is audio and video , only important think is to make ground on the largest  ring on the stereo jack

your words : "and the sleeve part nearest the cable for ground?" )  thats right !  ;)

here is is my mod  8)
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=12059.0

chowder

I did see your mod, but I was wondering how it would be wired up.  Thank you for confirming it for me, it's much appreciated.  Maybe I should have just PMed you directly, but this way other people can see it I guess :)

FAMICOM_87

no problem :) share pictures when your mod is done too  8)

80sFREAK