Going to Kyoto/Osaka for a week

Started by fcgamer, October 07, 2015, 08:05:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

Hey guys, I'm heading to Osaka (and then Kyoto) next week.  I'll be there for a week, in Japan.  While my main focus is touring and just getting a breather away from work and personal issues, I would also like to be able to knock out a lot of the Famicom games I still want to get for my collection.

Has anyone been to these two cities before?  Any places you can recommend for game hunting / shopping? 

Also, I have no idea about game prices in Japan, compared to western prices.  I will take 1000 USD total for spending money, I think this will be able to get me a suitcase full of games?
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

MaxXimus

I've never been but from what I understand you will be going back home with loads of games at that price. If you find a cheap smash bros for n64 think of me ha-ha. Just kidding. Well only kind of kidding. :p what ever the case, have fun and make sure to post your finds when you get back. I wish I had an extra $1000 to spend on games. :(

fcgamer

Quote from: SumixXam on October 07, 2015, 08:09:33 am
I've never been but from what I understand you will be going back home with loads of games at that price. If you find a cheap smash bros for n64 think of me ha-ha. Just kidding. Well only kind of kidding. :p what ever the case, have fun and make sure to post your finds when you get back. I wish I had an extra $1000 to spend on games. :(

Well a few things:

First of all, I remember selling to you so long ago, when I had first come to these forums, and you are one of the guys I hold in high regards here, one of the regulars I enjoy sharing and messaging, when I get the chance.  Who knows, maybe if I stumble upon a J Smash Bros, it will magically end up on your doorstep.  I have had a lot of ups and downs (right now I am in a semi-down) in my life, but I have been fortunate with so many opportunities and chances too.  People say sharing is caring and all that shit, but you know, it's cliche but there are some points.  So if I find one, who knows what happens ;)

Because I only have about 220 or so licensed Famicom games for a complete set, that is why I am taking so much spending money, hoping to knock a lot of them out.  This money was all from my tax refund this year. 

Sadly, next year I will have drastically less money to spend on games, since I am looking to put a down payment on a house in a few years.  I've always felt that if you want to make a big purchase / save money, the two options are to either up the hours of work, or cut the costs.  In the past, I always just upped the working hours since I don't have anything better to do with my time, and I love my jobs.  But sadly I am getting to the point where I have no more free time through the week to add more time (and I refuse to cut into my weekend time...if I work mornings, evenings and nights all through the week, the weekend is mine).  So if I want to make the house thing happen sooner, rather than later, I will need to cut costs...I told myself that Japan at the end of this year would be one last hurrah, next year will be a saving year, and same with the year after.  :'(

zmaster18

US$1000 gets me about 100lbs of video games. So, your suitcase might not be enough! You may have to ship it back to your home with EMS. If I was in Japan, I think I would be making money during the vacation selling treasure to people.

Please go to Hard-Off. That has always been my dream. Though I heard that lots of the good stuff is starting to dry up. It's almost like a natural resource like gas. It will dry up eventually and prices will continue to rise. There will be a total gas-crisis of retro video games eventually, so get as much as you can now. You won't have this opportunity in 5 years from now.

As for the Japanese Smash Bros, I used to buy them for about $5-7 each. You can easily get them. For some reason (I guess lack of RPGS) the N64 was not popular in Japan. People over there prefer Saturn and PS1. You can get basically any N64 game you want for 5 bucks.

MaxXimus

Quote from: fcgamer on October 07, 2015, 08:34:54 am
Quote from: SumixXam on October 07, 2015, 08:09:33 am

Well a few things:

First of all, I remember selling to you so long ago, when I had first come to these forums, and you are one of the guys I hold in high regards here, one of the regulars I enjoy sharing and messaging, when I get the chance.  Who knows, maybe if I stumble upon a J Smash Bros, it will magically end up on your doorstep.  I have had a lot of ups and downs (right now I am in a semi-down) in my life, but I have been fortunate with so many opportunities and chances too.  People say sharing is caring and all that shit, but you know, it's cliche but there are some points.  So if I find one, who knows what happens ;)

Because I only have about 220 or so licensed Famicom games for a complete set, that is why I am taking so much spending money, hoping to knock a lot of them out.  This money was all from my tax refund this year. 

Sadly, next year I will have drastically less money to spend on games, since I am looking to put a down payment on a house in a few years.  I've always felt that if you want to make a big purchase / save money, the two options are to either up the hours of work, or cut the costs.  In the past, I always just upped the working hours since I don't have anything better to do with my time, and I love my jobs.  But sadly I am getting to the point where I have no more free time through the week to add more time (and I refuse to cut into my weekend time...if I work mornings, evenings and nights all through the week, the weekend is mine).  So if I want to make the house thing happen sooner, rather than later, I will need to cut costs...I told myself that Japan at the end of this year would be one last hurrah, next year will be a saving year, and same with the year after.  :'(

Wow that is very generous of you Dave. I hold you in high regard as well ha-ha. I would never expect anything for free from anyone, but if something like that were to happen, I would be extremely grateful and thankful for it.

I had no idea that your personal collection spanned in to the hundreds and hundreds of cartridges. Maybe one day I'll be able to have the collection I dream of having. Until that day I'll just drool over everyone elses.

chowder

Quote from: fcgamer on October 07, 2015, 08:34:54 am
Because I only have about 220 or so licensed Famicom games for a complete set, that is why I am taking so much spending money, hoping to knock a lot of them out.

Do you have a list of games you're still after?  I don't know anyone with a complete set :)

Have a great time in Japan, I'm jealous!

nabbeth

October 07, 2015, 02:04:07 pm #6 Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:10:31 pm by nabbeth
Good luck on your trip, Dave!

Don't forget to take a lot of pictures, so later you can make some nice blog posts for us to read and drool over. :bub:

fcgamer

Well after a big flight drama, finally got to Japan, only 5 hours later and too late and tired to do anything.  :( 

Tomorrow gonna go out and look around, will be interesting to see what I see.

MaxXimus

Enjoy yourself and take pictures for all of us less fortunate to drool over.

manuel

Hey, I hope you have a good time here.
If I weren't so busy I'd totally go and meet you up in Osaka.  :mario:

Shumi Nagaremono

FamiGamer86

So I once shipped an item with SAK (Below Economy Airmail) instead of SAL or EMS. I had to retrieve the package from the Amazon rainforest. The system was a bit dirty, but still worked. Never ship anything with SAK, because they ship packages from JOS.

MaxXimus

How have things gone for you out there? I bet you found some real gems. :)