High Score Challenge. Live 01/01/2016 Game 3 - Donkey Kong

Started by DahrenDreamcast, October 20, 2015, 04:55:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

If you're looking to play a shmup in the Challenge, I'd recommend any of the Twinbee games. Unlike Spartan-X and Xevious they're finite games (so no marathon gaming where eventually you need to play for 2+ hours just to get where you've been before), very easy to survive in but when playing for score you need to apply considerably different (and more difficult) tactics.

Feel the pain of trying to juggle multiple bells at once, only to have them all fall when you catch a bullet that you missed instead.

chowder

209520, but no screenshot.  Died on the second level, second loop.

It took me ages to get past stage 4, I kept kicking the wizard's head off and wondering why he didn't get hurt ;D

Mr X is the easiest to beat, if you run up to him and crouch when you're in range but before he attacks, you can just keep crouch kicking and he'll stumble in to them until he's dead.  It looks like he's trying to jump kick, but it doesn't work for some reason.  Bit of a cheap trick, and I don't know if it works on further loops because I can't get that far!

UglyJoe

Quote from: chowder on November 14, 2015, 06:09:46 am
Mr X is the easiest to beat, if you run up to him and crouch when you're in range but before he attacks, you can just keep crouch kicking and he'll stumble in to them until he's dead.  It looks like he's trying to jump kick, but it doesn't work for some reason.  Bit of a cheap trick, and I don't know if it works on further loops because I can't get that far!

That's what I do.  He has managed to break out of it once on me, but it may have been that I wasn't pressing the button fast enough.

Nightstar699

Huh, I've never used that strat... I go for the "sneak in, land jump kick, back off, repeat" tactic against X. But I'll try the Chowder/Joe method on later loops today. 
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

UglyJoe

Woohoo! 405,280.  I broke the 400k barrier!

Mr. X jump kicked me again while I was doing the sweeping thing.  Had enough health to survive it, luckily ;D

chowder

251570, I'm slowly getting better :)  Loop 2, 3rd floor this time.  I need to grab a camera so I can take some screenshots.

Quote from: UglyJoe on November 14, 2015, 06:47:39 am
Woohoo! 405,280.  I broke the 400k barrier!

Wow, good work :D

DahrenDreamcast

Good work guys....brilliant  :)
I'll update leader-board once my coffee kicks in..
Nintendo Child <3

P

Did some more practice this weekend and I finally beat the second loop for the first time! :D
But only one life left and was done in by the boomerang daddy. Damn knife throwers distracted me!

502250 pts

Anyway the magician showed a new move I had never seen before. He conjured a double of himself behind me and then blasted me with his magic. The fight dragged out longer than normal, because I kept retreating in order to fight back the knife throwers that I didn't want to be dealing with at the same time, so maybe he only does this trick if you wait long enough.

I tried the leg-sweep trick on Mr X but I'm having trouble finding the correct distance (his jump kicks keeps connecting with my chin!). I'm more successful doing like Nightstar (jump kick his head and retreat), but before retreating I try to get a few leg-sweeps in but sometimes that kills me.

DahrenDreamcast

Nice Score P  :)

My Technique with X is to sweep him for the furthest point away but connecting with him....
He can still get you with jump kicks though....I'm not sure if this is the best way..probably not as I've lost many times to him...
on the flip side...a few quick connects doing it this way and before you know it...he's down..
Nintendo Child <3

DahrenDreamcast

Nintendo Child <3

zmaster18

I vote for a common Nintendo or Namco game. Balloon Fight is a game of great skill ;)

DDCecil

Stupid Magician and Knife Throwers!!!

My Score: 257,920

BaconBitsKing

I bought Spartan X and it came in the mail last week. I still have a ton of practicing to do!  ;D

I'd recommend a shooting game for December. Maybe Galaxian or something similar. Gradius would be perfect for a high score challenge.

DahrenDreamcast

Well guys..its nearly the 1st! (nice picture and twin famicom btw!) and there is no reason at-all why we still can't play past games and have conversation! but...can someone with some authority say a game and lets do this  :)
Nintendo Child <3

L___E___T

I would like to suggest Pac Man.  It's a unanimously popular simple yet surprisingly strategic game once you actually try racking up score - much like Spartan X.

Gradius while fun, is kind've all over once you lose the first life :)
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。