Ever had a fraudulent transaction on your credit card?

Started by chowder, November 15, 2015, 04:19:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chowder

My card issuer sent a text flagging up a payment of £102.50 on my card that I know nothing about - the reference just says "GHANABANK" :o  They've locked my account down until I can speak to them tomorrow (it's late here now), but it's obvious that someone has my card details.  I don't use it that frequently, the last charge was a payment to Aliexpress...

This is the first time I've had a problem, although I gather it's pretty common - my brother had his debit card cloned a few years back.  Anyone else had any issues like this?  I'm pretty confident it'll all be sorted out, but it's still pretty scary.  The limit on that card is £10k, I guess they try smaller amounts in the hope you don't notice or something.

UglyJoe

I had my main credit card get cancelled on me because I had used it at a Home Depot (one time!) within a several-month window when they were known to be compromised.  I never noticed any unusual charges on the card. 

However, a week or two after my first card had been cancelled, I got a fraud report phone call from them saying that there had been a potentially fraudulent purchase on my card.  They read off the last four digits of the CC and it was my old card that they had supposedly cancelled weeks ago!  When I pointed this out to them they got really quiet and had to go speak to a manager.

I've managed to trigger the fraud alert stuff a few times, though, by making large-ish purchases out of state.  And if I use my CC to make an online purchase at CDJapan, it gets my card frozen every single time ;D

famifan

Quote from: chowder on November 15, 2015, 04:19:38 pm
I don't use it that frequently, the last charge was a payment to Aliexpress...

Quote from: chowder on November 15, 2015, 04:19:38 pm
The limit on that card is £10k

i'd stick with one-time virtual card for online payment. Secure and cheap (1$ or even less).

so, the scenario is always the same: sum up the totals, issue the virtual card with hardly defined limit which is just slightly higher than the totals. Once payment is made, i terminate it.

almost easy and bulletproof solution so far.

however, IRL the things are too scary: skimmers inside of ATMs, fake terminals, etc. So, if CC gets copied, nobody'll never notice that, unless somebody tries to use  a copy/info.

bad thing is that my CC comes with magnetic stripe. No chip inside. Also, i don't like to enter pin code every time i purchase something in local store. Safety and usability never happen simultaneously altogether :-) But you could trade some portion of usability for safety or vice versa.

chowder

Quote from: famifan on November 16, 2015, 04:22:18 am
i'd stick with one-time virtual card for online payment. Secure and cheap (1$ or even less).

so, the scenario is always the same: sum up the totals, issue the virtual card with hardly defined limit which is just slightly higher than the totals. Once payment is made, i terminate it.

almost easy and bulletproof solution so far.

That's a good idea, I might try that next time.  It'd be inconvenient if I needed to buy more stuff, but every once in a while wouldn't be too bad :)

I spoke to them this morning, they told me to cut my card up and they'll issue a new one.  He said they will file it as a dispute with the originating website (ghanabank.co.uk I think) - I sort of wonder how far they take these things investigation wise, or whether they just write a certain amount off as the cost of doing business.

famifan

Quote from: chowder on November 16, 2015, 06:48:25 am
It'd be inconvenient if I needed to buy more stuff, but every once in a while wouldn't be too bad :)

yep. It depends on how faster your purchase cart getting changed. I don't like buying some in a hurry mess, so i'd rather spend at least 3-5 days for making decisions and somehow finalize the cart.

but i'm always missing 60-80% sale items on ebay. Every time i'm going to think do i really need it or not, the sale items go out stock within less than a few days or even hours.  :'(

that is a major side effect of being so slow :yoshi:

Jedi Master Baiter

I just had several, starting on my birthday! >:(

A total of five withdrawals, adding up to nearly $1,500. And I didn't receive the notification until the 18th. I've been trying to get ahold of a representative, but they're always busy. And then it hangs up. ??? Is that supposed to happen?

MaxXimus

I've had hundreds stolen from me over the course of that last 2 or 3 years. It's getting insane actually. We check our statements every time now. Hotel stays and the like.

Protoman

Yes someone hacked my PSN once and bought a football game and something else, 40 euros worth I think

Jedi Master Baiter

It happened again! This time well over $2,000! >:(

And I haven't done anything online outside of T-Mobile and PayPal.