[help-req|SOLVED][rants] zip archiver victims from all over the world

Started by famifan, December 13, 2016, 01:07:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

famifan

hey folks,

as you might know already, back in the old days, there's no such thing as non ascii characters. 7 8 bits is nuff and so on.

but tables have turned. life is harder now, tell mom and dad.

so far, several competitive UNICODE encodings are already available. this's still not enough! you're still need to play with encodings from time to time.

let my story begins:
managed to unpack zip files from Japanese friends. (nothing special, just passed additional param to unzip as simple as -O shift-jis) yay!

right now i'm stuck with files from Poland. Not sure if they're really are from Poland, just a guessing (sorry, if i guessed this wrong. feel free to correct me)

i'm perfectly sure that the operating system isn't the thing which's limiting me.

just a sample http://turnitoffrecordz.blogspot.com/2011/11/licho-fear-of-dub-ep-tio010.html
the first track is named as 001. Intro (Licho Nie śpi...). however, i can't reproduce the same 001. Intro (Licho Nie śpi...) after the extracting the files. I believe i can use a strong kurwa word for such case. Tried every possible option which came into my mind.  I'm always getting Cyrillic characters instead of Polish.  :'(

Guys, what's the trick? How did you do that? What's wrong with me?

VegaVegas

Yes this always sucks and because of this I never use any special language characters for file names, programming and every computer related stuff. Do you want me to rezip and reupload the file??

famifan

Quote from: MaarioS on December 13, 2016, 04:15:26 pm
Do you want me to rezip and reupload the file??

thanks, you're welcome. No, i'm not asking about this. I just wish i know how to unzip it without flaw. You know the secret, no?

without getting the mix of unexpected characters in filenames. The way how i dealt with zips from Japan gave me a certainty that the issue could be fixed just by applying proper encoding option. Now i'm stuck, i can't find the proper encoding options to unzip.

basically, i'm just curious about the proper encoding options. that's all.

UglyJoe

What OS are you using (or why are you sure it's not the OS)?  Which file-system?  Have you tried something other than unzip.exe to extract it (7z, etc)?

VegaVegas

I don't know, I just unzipped it by double clicking and it worked by default. Maybe you should download and try WinRAR PL version??

famifan

guys, you not gonna believe in this.

i accidentally found the proper param for unzip for Polish zip files,

$ unzip -O cp852

cp852 exactly, not cp-852 (as i tried earlier with no luck).

Post Merge: December 14, 2016, 11:58:48 am

Quote from: UglyJoe on December 14, 2016, 07:13:03 am
What OS are you using (or why are you sure it's not the OS)?  Which file-system? 

OS with proper and almost full range of UNICODE characters support. GNU/Linux  :-[

anyway, it turned out to be piece of cake. I was just too worried therefore asked for help in advance. I should be more patient and self confident. however, i found the solution by myself.

Thank you folks. You were so supportive :)

famifan

Quote from: MaarioS on December 14, 2016, 01:40:55 pm
Why do you even try using Linux??

just because that's all i have and it's what i'm using for almost a decade everywhere at home, at university, at work, etc.