Just found this...what is it?

Started by fcgamer, November 22, 2015, 08:27:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

famifan

Quote from: fcgamer on November 26, 2015, 09:02:04 am
Maybe I can try this method first...but the link is dead for the KCS decoder, and I can't seem to find one.

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/martin/software/index.html#CUTS it's command line tool. But should work flawlessly.

i'm a bit concerned about mapper logic. It doesn't seem to be a generic (at least from my amateurish first look).

so, it's pretty useless to dump without modifications in dumper logic. Hopefully, i may be wrong :)

nevertheless, you could still dump it as NROM. It will probably shed some more light on how mapper logic works when NROM dump is being carefully analyzed by nes/fami hackers.

aarkay14

try to reseat the chips in the other direction and it might work, looks to me like an MMC3 multicart. Try to clean with 100% isopropyl Alcohol and it should work.

- Rama

fcgamer

Quote from: famifan on November 27, 2015, 04:02:06 am
Quote from: fcgamer on November 26, 2015, 09:02:04 am
Maybe I can try this method first...but the link is dead for the KCS decoder, and I can't seem to find one.

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/martin/software/index.html#CUTS it's command line tool. But should work flawlessly.

i'm a bit concerned about mapper logic. It doesn't seem to be a generic (at least from my amateurish first look).

so, it's pretty useless to dump without modifications in dumper logic. Hopefully, i may be wrong :)

nevertheless, you could still dump it as NROM. It will probably shed some more light on how mapper logic works when NROM dump is being carefully analyzed by nes/fami hackers.

I saw this, but I am not tech savvy.  How do you run that program?  I made a recording today, will try to decode it after I learn how to use that program.  Then if there are problems with the recording, we can discuss some more.

When I receive the other dumper tool for Christmas, if the above method doesn't work, I will attempt again with that tool.  If that doesn't work, then I will send off to someone else to dump it and examine it. 

I have no problem with sending to a guy to dump it, but if this truly is a bootleg prototype, then I just worry about something happening and it getting lost in the mail or something like that. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

famifan

November 27, 2015, 07:03:54 am #18 Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:09:04 am by famifan
Quote from: fcgamer on November 27, 2015, 06:15:44 am
I saw this, but I am not tech savvy.  How do you run that program?  I made a recording today, will try to decode it after I learn how to use that program.  Then if there are problems with the recording, we can discuss some more.

under what BPS dump was recording done? i'd rather stick with 300 BPS (time consuming, but less error-prone). Recording should be not in lossy format (it means no chance for MP3, OGG, etc). Only WAV. (for matter of disk space saving it could be safely compressed to FLAC)

say, you have got recording.wav

At first, you need `pearl` package to be installed. After that, just download tape-read.

so, by executing in terminal

perl tape-read recording.wav

and then waiting for completion, you'll get recording.txt file with decoded contents.

if you don't want to decode it by yourself, just share the recording and information under what BPS was it produced. It's absolutely safe and won't disclose full content of ROMs, as NROM dump will contain only part of PRG/CHR limited to 32K/8K respectively as no bankswitching occurs (In other words, to get access to the remaining part of ROMs they need to be bankswitched by toggling mapper logic. That will never happen when you dump NROM)

Post Merge: November 27, 2015, 07:09:04 am

Quote from: aarkay14 on November 27, 2015, 05:47:58 am
try to reseat the chips in the other direction and it might work

4 chips, means 4! = 24 combinations. One doesn't work, so 23 remain. Good luck :-)