Another FDS repair thread

Started by FamiForever, November 25, 2015, 09:25:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FamiForever

I've been having a lot of trouble replacing the belt on my disk system over the last few weeks.  Getting the belt on is no problem, but I can't seem to get it calibrated right.  Every time I try something I get error 22, which from my understanding means that it's almost correctly calibrated.  Does anyone out there have any hints or tricks?

Extra info:
Yes I have cleaned the head
I have the revision with the square hole in the spindle gear

zmaster18

Just takes a lot of practice. My first FDS that I repaired like 5 years ago frustrated me to no end and I finally got it working after 15+ hours messing around with it.

Now I can take it apart, clean everything, fit the belt, re-calibrate, and then put it all together in under an hour. It's kinda hard to describe what to do, it's something you need to have a feel for. One trick I can give you is to make sure all the old grease is cleaned off and new oil is put on all moving parts. This really helps make the head move back smoothly. If it's not smooth, you get errors. Also adjusting the motor speed is usually what helps the most when I'm almost done calibrating.

Here's another pro tip: You know that the mechanism is calibrated when you get the 'black screen of hope'. When the the disk loads to a black screen and then has an error afterwards, all you need to do is adjust the motor. That's it.

FamiForever

Thanks for the help, but guess what, I tried it again without touching anything from last night and now it works. :)
However, when I try to delete files, save or pretty much do anything I get error 30: disk full. :(

Anybody have anything on that?

HVC-Man

This guide assumes you have not messed with any of the fine calibration in the FDS drive, like the timing screw etc.

FamiForever

November 27, 2015, 09:48:22 am #4 Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:01:24 am by FamiForever
Quote from: HVC-Man on November 26, 2015, 12:35:22 pm

This guide assumes you have not messed with any of the fine calibration in the FDS drive, like the timing screw etc.

Thanks, but everything works on that end now.  I forgot to mention it's only Zelda that won't save or delete files.  So it might just be the disk or me not having a clue how to delete files.
This is how I've tried doing it.
1. Go to kill mode
2. Press start on each save to delete them
3. Press Kill + some Jap. text
4. This is where I'm stuck.  If I enter a name, and try to exist: error 30.  If I don't enter a name and press start on the Jap. text at the bottom I get error 30.

Also if I try to save one of the existing files, guess what, I get error 30.

EDIT
I just tried it again and now it gets stuck on what a screen that I think says "Please wait," sometimes.

nusilver

Quote from: zmaster18 on November 25, 2015, 10:13:34 pm
Here's another pro tip: You know that the mechanism is calibrated when you get the 'black screen of hope'. When the the disk loads to a black screen and then has an error afterwards, all you need to do is adjust the motor. That's it.

Dude. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. I decided to try and repair my drive again today, and after partial success getting my games to load but not read side Bs or save, I adjusted the motor per your suggestion, and after a few turns, I'm at 100% again!

zmaster18

Oh great! I'm glad my advice was able to help you!  ;D 

FamiForever

Man I suck at keeping on top of things.  I'm still having trouble with Zelda.  If it helps I've been using this video for help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TLzWQFMdKA