Seiken Densetsu 2 -> Secret of Mana help

Started by Arkanix38, December 10, 2015, 10:24:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkanix38

Tried reflashing and verifying the ROM. It's perfectly fine, and the .bin I ripped from it loads fine in ZSNES.

I switched over to a new adapter board and rewired the MAD-R in the same configuration as the MAD-1 in Chrono Trigger. I now get either scrolling fuzz or I get flashes of garbage on screen if I'm lucky.

The .sfc file i'm using (Secret of Mana w/ enhanced text) is 24Mbit and Hi-ROM so it makes sense to use the same configuration as Chrono Trigger, but i'm still seeing issues with the cart. I've ruled out all connection issues with my multimeter, carefully inspected the flash chip and all the solder joints to the adapter board, and have used every logical MAD configuration with the original MAD-R chip to no avail.

I'm sick of the MAD-R shit, so does anyone have a spare MAD-1 lying around I could buy?

Arkanix38

I was right, the MAD-R was the problem. Got a MAD-1 from HVC-MAN today (Thanks again dude!) and soldered it in. I wired it exactly the same as the MAD-1 in Japanese Chrono Trigger and it worked perfectly!

Arkanix38

So the game works but the RAM does not appear to be saving. When I save the game the save vanishes and the files appear empty. This is WITHOUT turning off the console or resetting, just going back to a save point and saving again. I have tried the pinout suggested by xIceMan

Quote from: xIceMan on December 13, 2015, 01:35:58 am
I had MAD-R before and it worked fine. I have no clue why you overcomplicate these things.

__  __
              NC |01\/16| NC
   RAM /CE |02  15| SNES #40
     NC |03  14| A19
          ROM /OE |04  13| A20
   +5V |05  12| A21
   +5V |06  11| SNES #49
   +5V |07  10| GND
   GND |08  09| SNES #26 and RAM #26 (only in 6264)
             ------

except with PIN 10 to +5V as the ROM is HiROM and not LoROM.

Again, the game booted and played fine but would not save. Any ideas?