March 28, 2024, 05:05:52 am

CRT TVs

Started by Jedi Master Baiter, December 29, 2015, 05:21:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi Master Baiter

This is something that's been bothering me lately. I've been seeing more CRT TVs left out on people's front yards or sidewalks (for obvious reasons). :upsetroll: And it's been raining here recently. :(

As a retro game fan, I will never part with the two I have. I do worry, though, what I'd do if they stopped working in the future, and CRTs become rare. It's also a dream of mine to build an arcade cabinet.

Thing is, right now I don't have room to horde this kinda stuff, and this isn't just about me--it's also about the environment. I wish there was something we could do to prevent this kind of excessive waste. :-\

Anyone else feel the same way?

famifan

QuoteThis is something that's been bothering me lately. I've been seeing more CRT TVs left out on people's front yards or sidewalks (for obvious reasons).

that bothers me too as well. CRT TVs contains significant amount of copper wire inside. So homeless people are tend to ruin them for the sake of copper which could be later converted into the money. they're always producing a lot of broken glass pieces and other garbage too when taking out the copper of CRT.

Cheetahmen

I feel the same. I can't get a CRT right now as I don't have any room for one but I really hope that by the time I can they'll be cheap like they are now :upsetroll:
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

P

Me too. I'd also get an CRT if not only just to be able to use my lightguns/ROB again, but I have no room for one. And all the ones I came across for free was PAL only, so I have not much use for them.

chowder

The only CRT I have is PAL only, and in general they're becoming pretty scarce.  Maybe there's a market for some enterprising individual to make them purely for the retro-gaming enthusiast, but I doubt it'd be profitable enough.  I'll have to pick an NTSC compatible one up while I can and learn about repairing them I guess.

mario3648

Actually, I'm probably one of the few that are forced to using a CRT (an old hotel/condo TV we were given some years ago) at this time, due to my old flat screen having a fiddly AC adapter port... but I'm not complaining any (other than the lack of a remote and fiddly AV ports on the front). It's obviously quite useful for the NES and anything that uses these old technologies; makes my old Nintendo games really shine with the slightly muffled speakers, creates a special kind of sound you don't usually get with HDTVs and the like.

tonev

Quote from: P on December 30, 2015, 09:01:15 am
Me too. I'd also get an CRT if not only just to be able to use my lightguns/ROB again, but I have no room for one. And all the ones I came across for free was PAL only, so I have not much use for them.

Hey P get a sony CRT 90% of all sony CRT's even if it says that they are pal they do support ntsc :) ( because sony is king ;) )
I am back everyone :)

Jedi Master Baiter

Earlier this week, while doing my rounds at work, I heard a *SMASH* and drove over to find a couple of guys with a sledgehammer and this:

The next day, at another house, I saw some of these for sale:

I wish I had my own place to store these things. :-\ God! This is so frustrating!

L___E___T

Real shame about that first smashed one - though I suppose it may have been broken, but if not that's awful.

My family and friends don't get why I like these CRTs so much - they think it's just outdated tech and worthless.

We know the reasons though of course - I'm hoping to pick up another 20" PVM this weekend if possible as well!
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

famifan

Quote from: L___E___T on May 31, 2016, 03:59:25 am
I'm hoping to pick up another 20" PVM this weekend if possible as well!

I wish you'll be luckily enough to make this happens.

Sorry for being too boring, but could you elaborate why you are after 20"?
I'm a bit worried that picture might be way too pixelated for 240/480p systems.

L___E___T

I find the smaller PVMs just a tad too small for my liking - I prefer the larger screens, ideally I'd like a Japanese Candy cab Vs. City at some point.

But to answer your question specifically - the PVM 20" screens show 240p games really nicely - even 480i games nicely to be honest, though you don't get the lovely scanlines like with 240p.

My Famicom is not RGB modded so I play that on my smaller Trinitron, which looks great but is a bit small for 240p RGB games for my own tastes. 

I can provide pics if this is something people are interested in?  May not look much different to all the other scanlines threads you see online though (apart from no LCD Framemesiter stuff).
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

famifan

Quote from: L___E___T on May 31, 2016, 05:17:07 am
But to answer your question specifically - the PVM 20" screens show 240p games really nicely - even 480i games nicely to be honest, though you don't get the lovely scanlines like with 240p.

I own 20" TV set and pixelating is killing me, especially when picture gets scrolled horizontally in a smooth manner like in SMB or on some stages from Ninja Ryukenden series. I think it's just me. Thus, i'd prefer screen flapping just how it was done in Faxanadu.
Perhaps, pixelating on PVM may be not so noticeable compared to regular TV. I don't know.

What is the best size for Famicom with AV outputs for your taste? Something within 13"-15", no?

L___E___T

I have a 14 or 16" Trinitron that looks great with composite and RGB - but the scanlines I like in RGB are much more prominent on the PVM.

A friend has his hooked up to an RGB modded AV Famicom and it looks incredible, very smooth.

What video signal are you running through your TV by the way?  I can't imagine it looking so good with only composite, but my PVM will only accept RGB right now.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Retrospectives

Same thing occurs in Japan unfortunately. If you go to any Hard Off or similar places, you might be lucky to find a few. I have seen dozens of CRT-televisions with Sanwa tubes (or neckboards?) and they are really high quality monitors. Unfortunately in Japan it is very hard to store big stuff like this, but otherwise I would probably have been trying to hoard some myself.

But on the other hand. In PRC and similar countries, these are still very very popular and is by far more common to see in peoples houses than flatscreens, so at least they are still going strong in certain markets even though for us Japanese retro gamers it will eventually become a hassle...but not too soon I believe. The supplies should at least last for the next 20 years or even more. But of course it is a sad fact to see these televisions being regarded as "junk" and just being throwed away.  :'(

famifan

Quote from: L___E___T on May 31, 2016, 09:28:00 am
What video signal are you running through your TV by the way?  I can't imagine it looking so good with only composite, but my PVM will only accept RGB right now.

AV modded regular Famicom is connected straight to AV inputs of TV.

So, it's no use for PVM and Famicom unless it gets RBG modded, right? It sounds that PVM is not suitable for regular Famicom. Thanks, I'm not interested in PVM anymore  :)

Ok, i got it. I think i forgot that you're going to connect to PVM anything else than Famicom. Sorry for being so Famicom-oriented  :)