is it possible to play european SNES games on a super Famicom?

Started by WF72, January 03, 2016, 06:09:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pikkon

You can switch between 50 and 60hz so there's no need to install any switches.

P

Then why are people still building that 50/60 Hz circuit in addition to installing the SuperCIC?

MaxXimus

Perhaps better compatibility? I know with gamecube if you install a modchip you can read out of region games(NTSCU &NTSCJ) but without installing the region switch, there are compatibility issues. Not exactly the same, but I'm sure you see what I'm trying to say.

L___E___T

That CIC chip looks like an auto region switch, perhaps some folks like the manual switch as well?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Pikkon

To switch manually you use the reset button,other than that you can set it to auto switch.

Also I can play all of my super fami games that uses special chips,like mario rpg and kirby,there's not one game that has not worked.

P

Yeah the SuperCIC has manual mode too, and works with SA-1 games (Super Mario RPG, the two Kirby games...) that doesn't work if you just disable the lockout chip.

Hmm it seems it can change D4 of $213F (the 60/50 Hz bit). That should take care of the "This game is not designed blablabla"-screen, and I guess speed. PAL machines have a slightly different clock speed from NTSC machines but maybe that's negligible. It's not like PAL NES that is more like a 50 Hz Famiclone with a different CPU and PPU. :-[

P

I investigated some more and it seems this 50/60 Hz mod that people do with the SuperCIC is just some extra circuitry you need to build if you have a 1CHIP or Junior/Mini console. It can automatically set the framerate based on the current CIC setting (NTSC/PAL) I guess.