PC-Engine recommendations/advice

Started by chowder, January 09, 2016, 09:36:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chowder

Despite never owning, or even playing one, I've had a strange fascination with the PC-Engine for a while now.  The main reason for its lack of global success as far as I can tell is a shortage of "big name" titles (the Marios and Sonics of the world).  Are there any games that are really worth getting a PCE for?  There seem to be a glut of shooters, which I'm not all that interested in.  FC Gradius FTW!  Haha.  The Street Fighter port looks impressive for the hardware, but SF2 Turbo on the SFC will always trump it for me.  Anyway, I'm rambling.  Any suggestions?

Nightstar699

Genpei Toumaden: Kan no Ki
Ninja Spirit: Saigo No Nindou
Shinobi
Momotaro Katsugeki
Genji Tsuushin Agedama
PC Genjin 1-3

And then the Valis games if you count PC Engine CD games.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

Check out the PC Engine Thread, I've listed a few of the most famous titles there. But there are many more.

Makyo Densetsu: Legendary Axe is a cool but hard action game.

Quote from: chowder on January 09, 2016, 09:36:15 am
The main reason for its lack of global success as far as I can tell is a shortage of "big name" titles (the Marios and Sonics of the world).

Yeah it was only ever number two in Japan after Famicom, so it failed to get some of the heavy hitters. On the other hand it got the best version of many games like Ys, Valis and Bomberman (of course Hudson makes the best version for their own system). And it has a number of unique games like some of the Far East of Eden games.

There are more CD games than HuCard games, so you should definitely count CD games. I'd start out with a Duo R or Duo RW, and if you like it, I'd eventually get a 5-port multitap (PC Engine only has one Pad port!), at least one more controller, Arcade Card and a Memory Base 128 (or a Save-kun, same thing), and possibly a PC Engine Everdrive.

If you start out with the original PC Engine or Core Grafx, you'll probably just end up spending more money if you get a Super CD-ROM (needs to be repaired). Also avoid the regular Duo (and American Turbo Duo) as it's CD-ROM unit also needs repairs. Also the Duo R/RW CD-ROM can play recordable CD-R discs without problem, which all of the other have problems with.

JessicaWolf

Personally I love Valkyrie no Densetsu for the PC Engine. I feel like it's a hidden gem, at least when it comes to America because it never really got a release outside of a single Namco PlayStation compilation.
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

chowder

Thank you all for the suggestions, and the hardware details are perfect, thanks P!

@P: By Duo-RW, do you mean RX?  The Duo-Rs are going for a lot of money, do you think the CD games make it worth it?  Is it possible to play CD games via an Everdrive on an original or Core-Grafx console?

kevkevkev

fcgamer

I have no idea about the PC-Engine, but a month back I ended up with 12 different hu cards and a unit.

This is up for grabs on Nintendo Age auction if anyone here wants it.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=34&threadid=157000
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

Quote from: chowder on January 10, 2016, 02:52:58 pm
@P: By Duo-RW, do you mean RX?  The Duo-Rs are going for a lot of money, do you think the CD games make it worth it?  Is it possible to play CD games via an Everdrive on an original or Core-Grafx console?

Ah yes I mean Duo-RX, sorry typo. See Duo-R/RX as a PC Engine + perfect Super CD-ROM2, so in that case it's cheaper than a Coregrafx + Super CD-ROM2 unit with capacitors and cogwheel replaced. I can't imagine PC Engine without CD-ROM2 or Super CD-ROM2 games (as I said there are more CD games than HuCards) so it's definitely worth it.

No the Everdrive can't play CD games. I don't think it's possible for a flashcart that plugs into the HuCard port to run CD games.
But since the Duo-R and RX can play CD-R discs, all the possibilities of homebrew and such things opens up for you (and to get Akumajou Dracula X, Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Sylphia and such games that are just horribly expensive). So in the end a Duo R/RX will save you lots of money and sweat.

There's no real difference between R and RX though (the board was redesigned in RX but they are equally good and identical in function). RX comes with a 6 button controller, but it's said to be pretty bad (I recommend Hori Fighting Commander PC instead). I'd just get the one you can find cheaper (which is probably R).

One more tip: if you plan to eventually get an Everdrive, don't get an RGB-modded or region-modded console as the Everdrive seems to have problems with many kind of mods. Unless the seller specifically states that it should work with Everdrive.

L___E___T

Chowder I can get you an RGB-modded PCE with cables and controllers for £100 if you are serious about getting one.  Just a heads up, a friend mods them here in England.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

chowder

Quote from: L___E___T on January 22, 2016, 02:44:48 am

Chowder I can get you an RGB-modded PCE with cables and controllers for £100 if you are serious about getting one.  Just a heads up, a friend mods them here in England.

Thanks for the offer, sounds good :)  I will get around to buying one, it's just been sidelined due to illness and lack of time (4.5 month old baby, I understand you'll be blessed with this curse soon too!  Congrats  ;D) - I'll give you a shout at some point.

L___E___T

Cheers Chowder, and congratulations again, hope all is going well with the little one! :bub:
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Can it play the Everdrive, LET?

Oh and congrats both of you!

L___E___T

Cheers P, absolutely, if you have one.  My friend uses his to test them.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

That's good that there's a way to RGB-mod without destroying Everdrive compatibility.

Oh yes I got a PC Engine Everdrive a while ago, and it works great. Compatibility on PC Engine isn't very hard though since there's only like 3 kinds of HuCards (normal, Street Fighter II mapper and ROMRAM with battery backup) plus the system cards with extra Work RAM for CD games.

Only problem I have with it is that the buttons in the menu is totally wrong. Button I goes back and Button II accepts! What were they thinking, it should be the other way around!!

Retrospectives

Rastan 2 had a pretty good port on this. Except for that then well...Gunhed and other SHMUPS are kind of cool and of course you got Wonder Boy and such things. I would personally not get the CD extension since the whole "thing" behind the PC-Engine as a novelty console I would say is the Hu-Cards and anything beyond that you could probably find elsewhere on other consoles (except for a few exclusives of course). I would though recommend the Double Dragon II for that system (if you do intend to get a CD attachment), but if I remember it correctly it was also released except for FC and NES also on the MD. But I am not sure about that....Anyway, have fun!