March 28, 2024, 10:40:10 pm

How's everyone?

Started by nusilver, January 12, 2016, 09:05:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nusilver

Hey guys,

It's been a few months since I've been around since I've been focusing 100% on my SNES collection the past... well, 4-5 months. I've managed to pick up quite a few of the spendy carts since the end of fall  - EVO, Harvest Moon, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Pocky & Rocky, Space Megaforce, Super Turrican 2 and Wild Guns, plus a lot of great "mid-tier" games like Nosferatu, SkyBlazer and Pirates of Dark Water. All told, I've added about 40 games to my collection, so I'm now at 140. Pretty happy with that, but I'm more happy that I played and finished Soul Blazer for the first time, am wrapping up Illusion of Gaia tonight (also for the first time), and have a Terranigma repro on the way to me (I feel the same way as many of you about repros in most cases, but I'd rather have a 60hZ copy to play than a Pal copy, so in this case, I made an exception.)

More exciting than all this, I booked a flight to New Zealand to celebrate my wife's upcoming college graduation--she's the first person in her dad's family to do so, so we're gonna party it up like Hobbits (or, typical California people who miss real wilderness since moving to NYC, take your pick.)

In Famicom related news: my Twin Turbo AN-505RD (swoon!) finally stopped reading disks for good -- I've tried all kinds of things to get it to read and it's just not working anymore. It's not the belt, but I can't figure out what it is. I guess I should find a working FDS and swap the drive out at some point. Also, I just tried to suggest a Famicom copy of Lickle to someone and then saw on eBay they're going for $200 loose now. Is Famicom collecting now over for the casual fan? Like, are we at that point where nothing can be had for a decent price? I'm glad to have gotten most of the games I want already (about 40 games or so, plus maybe 30 NES games), but there are still a couple I'd like to get and I'm scared to look at the prices (a couple Goemon games spring to mind... surely those aren't through the roof at this point?)

Anyway, how's everyone been?

P

Welcome back!

EVO, Harvest Moon and Wild Guns are among my favourite Super Famicom games. It's a shame they have to be so expensive (but at least they can all be played on common flashcarts).

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, I knew a guy who had them all (PAL) and I got to borrow them. It was a looooong time ago and I never got to finish them. They are on my never ending "to be played list". :)

nusilver

Quote from: P on January 13, 2016, 03:26:46 pm
Welcome back!

EVO, Harvest Moon and Wild Guns are among my favourite Super Famicom games. It's a shame they have to be so expensive (but at least they can all be played on common flashcarts).

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, I knew a guy who had them all (PAL) and I got to borrow them. It was a looooong time ago and I never got to finish them. They are on my never ending "to be played list". :)

I've been playing Terranigma whenever I can over the long weekend, and man, it starts off sort of like "this looks good and sounds great," and then just gets better and better. It seems like it may be on the short side, unfortunately, but we'll see! (just basing that on the amount of armor and weapons I've collected in the game -- I seem to have about half the armor and am at about 7 hours in.)

P

Yeah I fell in love with it first time I played it. It's the game out of the trilogy I played the most, but I'm not sure if it's short since I never beat it. I came quite far and didn't see the ending coming anytime soon, so it's not that short anyway.

Is Soul Blazer short? I've only beat the first boss in that (the one that makes a cameo appearance in Gaia I think).

nusilver

January 19, 2016, 08:54:42 am #4 Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:56:56 pm by nusilver
Soul Blazer took me about 3 days to finish, maybe 2-3 hours per night. Not too long. Illusion of Gaia took maybe an extra day at the same rate. I was prepping for Terranigma so I had a schedule to keep or something. :-)

Also, I fixed my FDS drive today! Lots of spindle hub adjusting and motor speed tweaking, but everything is back at 100% including saving! So happy.

P

So about 6 hours game then? Sounds about right for an action RPG from back then (except for Seiken Densetsu games). I like them short though, turn-based RPGs are generally too long for me to finish within a year nowdays.

Anyway congrats on fixing the FDS! Sounds like a lot of trouble, I hope my FDS won't fail anytime soon (although I'm mostly using my FDSStick nowdays).

NintendoKing

Congratulations on fixing that Famicom Disk System, it's always cool to read of such repairs. Honestly if it wasn't repairable then just gut a standard FDS for its drive.

jpx72

This is what expresses my situation

nusilver

Aww, man, I hear you. Take care of yourself!