Modifying Quick Disks for use with an FDS?

Started by XC-3730C, January 30, 2016, 02:46:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

XC-3730C

What is a good solution nowadays for modify g a Quick Disk for use in a FDS system? I can write my own disks ( I have an MGD1 and PC cable, as well as old school PC with Windows 98 and DOS).

Thanks!

Ninjanick999

You need to cut off the tabs on the sides first.
After that there is some way to put a paper clip on the bottom of it to get it to work. I'm not sure how this is done.

Check any pirate disks you have, as some of them are actually quick disks with adapters at the bottom. you can take these off and put them on one of your quick disks and then they will fit.

chowder

Ninjanick999

Quote from: chowder on January 31, 2016, 09:28:49 am
Maybe something like this?  Disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself :)

http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/maxell-quick-disk/

Yeah, that would work.

These are the pirate disks I was talking about in my previous post. It you have any pirate disks look and see if they have adapters on them.

XC-3730C

I don't have any pirate disks (I wish I did, but they are nearly impossible to find), but thanks for the suggestions. I will try it and report back for those that are also in my situation.

Do Amstrad disks also work? Also, where can I get some quick disks (other than ebay)?

Ninjanick999

I'm pretty sure that quick disks are the only ones that work.

As for finding them, I have found that they can be found fairly easily on ebay (or possibly other auction sites) if you use the right search terms.
Quick Disks were mainly used in electronic keyboards, keep this in mind when searching for them.

Try going to ebay (or a smiler auction site) and try some of the following search terms:
roland sound library
roland quick disk
akai quick disk
Roland S-10

If you dig around you should be able to find some, make sure your getting quick disks though, as there are a lot of keyboards that use other formats of floppy disks.
I have used this method in the past and I got 45 disks for a little less than $1 a disk.

P

Why would you need to remove the extension part? What system do you use to write the disk?

P

So you would first need to find a Quick Disk modified to work in an FDS and demodify it, then you need one of those few computers that used Quick Disks, some way to put the FDS image on that computer and a program that can write the image in the proper format.
It would probably be easier to use an FDS drive to write it with in that case. Writing disks isn't totally problem free though as rewritten disks doesn't always work in all drives.

If you just want to be able to play arbitrary FDS disks, the easiest and probably best option is to get an FDSStick. You put the disk image on its flash memory and it emulates the disk drive part of the FDS (reading, writing, LED and disk/side changing with a button). Should work flawlessly 100%.
The FDSStick can also be used for both dumping and writing FDS disks in both raw and .fds formats.

P

I don't think the Twin works any differently from standalone disk drives.

I think using the FDSStick for emulating the disk drive is easier and without all the disadvantages of destroying/rewriting disks. You need an adapter to get it to work with the Twin though (or just get a standalone RAM Adapter cheaply to use with the FDSStick).

P

Not so fun when the rewritten disks only works on your own drive though.

At the official homepage Loopy says he is selling an adapter (that you also can make yourself I think) for the Twin but it still seems it requires the RAM Adapter cable. In other words there seems to be no way around getting a standalone RAM Adapter, and when you get that you don't really need the adapter anymore unless you for some reason want to use the built-in RAM Adapter in your Twin with the FDSStick (if for example the standalone one is faulty or you want the BIOS with the "Famicom" logo to appear on screen when starting instead of "Nintendo").

You get the FDSStick at Tototek, unless you are in America and can get it from the official homepage.