Anybody got thoughts about GBA Mods

Started by NintendoFanboy, January 30, 2016, 07:20:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoFanboy

"My name is Gamey!"
My first thing on fourms.

Anyone got thoughts on GBA Modding?

I'm shocked about the fact Backlight Kits go for about $100.
And also sad
:o  :(

zmaster18

I wanted to get into GBA backlight modding, but it is expensive. I like the original model over the SP!

L___E___T

January 31, 2016, 06:26:32 am #3 Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:31:34 am by L___E___T

I have all GB / GBA models and several of Rose Colored Gaming's backlit specials - the Super Famicom, SNES and DMG style mods they make.

I prefer the first model overall - I bought one new when they were first released and had so much fun with it, no backlight of course.  Even without the backlight, the system brought me a lot of joy.

On the move, I prefer the SP model as it;s easier to carry around and play on the go - I also like to carry the Micro which is obviously very portable, but on the train etc. the display is a little on the small side, unless you're very still I find myself squinting sometimes.  The screen on that one is obviously best.  I think it's the best way to play SEGA Game Gear games as well.

BUT, rather than go round the block trying to find a backlight original model or a cheap Micro - I'd honestly suggest just getting a nice clean NDS Lite.  The top screen of the NDSL is better than the AGS-101 model, with all the richness of the Micro screen but with larger pixels that make all games (bar Metroid Zero Mission maybe) look better.

I would resist any temptation to get one of these GBA 'Macro' DIY hacks, a DS Lite is just as portable, and the bottom screen is no way as good to play GBA games on than the top.  You also lose any screen protection without a clamshell lid.  AND, you miss out on GBA style games like Alien: Infestation and the Mega Man ZX games (as well as Zero Collection).  A DSL + EZFlashIV + R4 will entertain forever.  

That's all GB, GBC, GBA, NDS, GG, and SMS games libraries.  Famicom GBA emulation is poor though so steer clear of that unless you like blurry visuals (resolutions don't match).

All of this is subjectoive of course, but I've thought a lot about this and GBA mods are really expensive now - plenty of other (even better) options unless you simply MUST have one.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。