CPU vs GPM Famicom - Which is best?

Started by zmaster18, February 01, 2016, 08:48:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

I've been trying to research which original Famicom variation is the best, and what I seem to find is that the CPU variants have the best sound but the GPM ones have slightly more crisp video? Does anyone know the pros and cons of each board type?

chowder

Definitely the CPU models for audio, the mixing is off on the FF branded and AV Famicoms.  Here's a good comparison:

http://en.nicovideo.geo.jp/?sm16346242

Video wise I've not noticed too much difference.  GPMs are generally a bit cleaner like you said.

P

These are small differences that results from the board design being different in the later models (technically it's possible to fix).

I would worry about the CPU and PPU revision number more than the board though.
Earlier CPUs than RP2A03E doesn't have the looped noise feature (so you are missing out on the cool metallic ringing in Rockman 1's Fire Man stage music for example).
Earlier PPUs than 2C02G-0 have the $2004 register being writeable only. So games that rely on reading it (Codemaster games does this) won't work proberly (Micro Machines menus shakes like crazy on my Famicom with PPU RP2C02E-0 due to this, but is otherwise playable). I guess it could be hard to get a CPU-board that still has a 2C02G-0 or later though so I wouldn't worry about the PPU too much. The looped noise is more important.

One advantage with the GMP-boards is, I think they have a fuse?