FS: Consoles, Sega and Fami games, flash carts

Started by chowder, February 16, 2016, 03:22:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC-Man

Yes, it's a problem common to every SNES board revision.

You could put a 220uF 16v cap at the 7805 voltage regulator, positive to the output and negative to ground along with a 1000uF 16v cap in the empty cap socket under the heatsink/RF shield near the 7805 voltage regulator.

I've herd recommendations for adding several small caps to the CPU / PPU circuit area, but I don't know all the details on that.

chowder

HVC-Man

Most SNES systems (including mine) don't have the C67 spot filled with a capacitor.

As you can see, the SNES is mostly devoid of caps. That means even tiny power fluctuations can cause detrimental effects to the chips inside. Other game systems of the time had many more capacitors. Although the caps will dry out over time, the advantage is systems like the Genesis, Game Gear and PCE systems have had fewer units lost to chip death in the last 20 years. Over at NintendoAge among others, there have been a lot of reports of dead SNES systems with problems ranging from black screens, broken video modes, B&W video, specific game crashing with any cartridge and graphical corruption.

As for newer systems like the N64 and onward, they don't have as many caps because by then, AC adapters became efficient enough to ensure clean power.

kaneda2k8