April 20, 2024, 09:40:06 am

Studying abroad

Started by VegaVegas, March 04, 2016, 03:53:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaVegas

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask a few questions- did anyone have any experience of studying abroad their home country?? I deciced that I will probably leave my country and continue my studies somewhere else for several reasons.... at least for those 2 years and who knows what happens next

I'm originally from Poland and I'm wondering about going to either somewhere in Europe or maybe somewhere to Asia. The studies must be in English and I think this isn't surprising. At the same time, English is international language so the location shouldn't really matter anyway. After all going to somewhere in Europe is closer but going to Asia shouldn't be a problem after all, especially when there are countries like Hong Kong and Singapore where they accept English language. What I want to study most is IT/Computer Science, if it is mixed with Electronics it is also good. Hmm, really hard to decide.... what do you think?? Did anyone have any experience??

L___E___T

I couldn't advise where to study over other countries (HK I would and UK of course) but I definitely think you should go for it.  You'll never look back.

My wife left to study abroad and it really had a positive impact.  I'm sure many other people can say the same, if it is an affordable route.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

chowder

The Netherlands could be a good choice.  Some highly regarded universities, courses in English, and cheaper tuition (than the UK anyway).  Plus Amsterdam is awesome, and Dutch people are generally very friendly :)

fcgamer

Go for it!  I studied abroad in Germany, and it opened up my mind and changed who I was in so many ways.  When I returned home, I switched majors, and it made me see people and view life in a whole different way.  I went to Germany to study German, for those that wonder.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

Yes if you have the means to, definitely do it. I can't recommend it enough. I went with an exchange study program with my university and one in Japan, and my time in Japan is easily one of the greatest parts of my life.

I don't know what to recommend (other than Japan, and I know there are programs fully in English there), but I'd recommend to take a country you are truly interested in. This was no problem for me since I had been interested in Japan as long as I can remember, but over the years I've seen many exchange students here in Sweden acting very fed up and homesick after some time.

tonev

Come study here in Bulgaria the education here is cheaper than other places  ;D
I am back everyone :)

VegaVegas

At this moment, I wonder about going to an Asian country that officially uses English. At this moment, I wonder about going to either Hong Kong or Singapore. As far as I could see it is easier to find a reasonably cheap apartment in Singapore rather than Hong Kong. In HK prices are rather crazy or I don't know how to search for them properly. Also, I find that interesting that Hong Kong is considered part of China rather than another country.... Is there anyone that is located in either of those countries?? What do you think??

L___E___T

HK is technically part of China in that they are linked, but the people, behaviours and culture are markedly different from the mainland.

I would have thought Singapore is better for education and international reception, but I'd also expect it to be more expensive actually.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Isn't Honk Kong officially independent? Although China tries to make us believe differently. Or maybe it just depends on who you ask.

Singapore and Hong Kong seems both interesting, I like to go to both someday. In Singapore, English is an official language and widely used according to a Singaporean internet-friend I used to have. Hong Kong too maybe?

L___E___T

March 09, 2016, 09:37:20 am #9 Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:37:12 pm by L___E___T
HK is not independent no, it is a special administrative region.  They were assured 50 years of self-governance as terms of the handover I think, or something like that.

Singaporeans do speak English even if it's not the 'official' main language, but I struggle in HK only speaking English to be honest.  You can get by, but you need to be able to speak Cantonese to live there tbh.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

mfm

Singapore has four official languages including English.

I've been to HK many times and to Singapore once, I would agree that it's much more common for people in the street to speak decent English in Singapore. In HK it can be hit and miss (so it's good that my GF knows Cantonese and Mandarin).