Nakayama Miho VHS Tape Online.

Started by Flemishdog, April 05, 2016, 04:08:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Flemishdog

April 05, 2016, 04:08:21 am Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 04:14:52 am by Flemishdog
So I found a copy on Yahoo Auctions and since theres been problems watching it in the past, I decided to upload it online, because I have experience converting VHS tapes. Sorry about the watermark, but I can kind of do whatever I want since no one else is going to upload theirs,  it seems. (People are free to upload their own tape without a watermark, of course.)

So please enjoy it, a "Holy Grail" item now public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qGFVq-BKI

jpx72

Hmm looking forward to it! Thanks for the share!

BaconBitsKing

P

bombman

lmao @ watermark. Its not like anyone cares about this VHS, I put mine on ebay for $100, three or four times and no one bid on it.

bombman

Lol and you put it up on myspleen without the watermark. So why go through all the bullshit in the first place?

L___E___T

I'm very grateful you put this online and I think it was a pleasant thing to do that you didn't have any obligation to.

So for that I would like to say 'Thank You' which is what I think is the general courtesy owed, at least, in this case.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

bombman

Quote from: L___E___T on July 24, 2016, 02:56:03 pm

I'm very grateful you put this online and I think it was a pleasant thing to do that you didn't have any obligation to.

So for that I would like to say 'Thank You' which is what I think is the general courtesy owed, at least, in this case.

Nah, he's not owed any courtesy for putting up shit.

BaconBitsKing

If it's on Myspleen without the watermark, why do you even care? If nobody cares about the VHS, then nobody's going to mind the watermark. It seems pointless to complain about.

L___E___T

It does seem fruitless, especially when a member of the community does something of their own initiative, in their own time, to benefit the wider community, I fail to see why one would take issue with that.

Bombman please refrain from that kind of behaviour, it's juvenile at best and doesn't add anything of benefit.

Discussion is fine, but it needs to at least be civil.  Has this upset you somehow?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nusilver

Nice thing to do to put it up on YouTube for everyone, but the watermark makes it unwatchable, at least for me - it's about 1/4 the size of the screen, and smack dab in the middle.

fcgamer

I can sort of see both sides here, to be quite frank about it.  It's a nice gesture, but the watermark is an eyesore.  I mean, why does everyone care so much about credit? 

On the other hand, I also remember when I took pics of the Whirlwind Manu catalog for everyone to view, and everyone just complained that scans would have been better (despite my scanner having been broken) and that I shouldn't have done it "half-assed", basically.  So I can of see both sides here.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

Quote from: fcgamer on July 30, 2016, 09:38:06 pm
I can sort of see both sides here, to be quite frank about it.  It's a nice gesture, but the watermark is an eyesore.  I mean, why does everyone care so much about credit?

Yeah especially when the ripper doesn't own the copyrights or anything, I don't get why people goes through the trouble to add watermarks in these cases. But I'm still grateful for at least be able to see how it looks like, so I wasn't really planning to complain. It's better than nothing.

Flemishdog

I trust people on myspleen more than I do the YouTube public. And I do it with most of my videos because I'm an archivist and it stops people using what I find without asking first (Because archivists usually get paid for their work). I'm not saying I own the copyright, I'm just saying I went through the hurdles to get this tape. The watermark is in the middle so it isn't cropped out (which I've had happen). If you don't like it then I'm sorry but I need to earn some money on the other stuff I upload. It's weird how most people who object to the watermark own a copy of the tape. Have I ruined the value?

fcgamer

Quote from: Flemishdog on August 05, 2016, 06:44:42 am
I trust people on myspleen more than I do the YouTube public. And I do it with most of my videos because I'm an archivist and it stops people using what I find without asking first (Because archivists usually get paid for their work). I'm not saying I own the copyright, I'm just saying I went through the hurdles to get this tape. The watermark is in the middle so it isn't cropped out (which I've had happen). If you don't like it then I'm sorry but I need to earn some money on the other stuff I upload. It's weird how most people who object to the watermark own a copy of the tape. Have I ruined the value?

From reading previous posts, it seems that 3/4 of the people who have objected to the watermark in one way or another don't own the tape  ;D  So I don't think it necessarily has to do with people worrying that their item had its value ruined.  Heck, I'd even be in the market for one of these tapes sometime, so there is at least one potential buyer out there that isn't concerned about the video being uploaded.

I think the point is (and do I really need to mention this, I am sure we all already know it anyways) that the watermark is an eyesore that detracts from watching the video.  I would presume that as far as many would be concerned, the video really isn't archived or preserved anyway, since the only version floating around has an ugly watermark going through it.  So what it does is it gives the curious folk a chance to watch the video without having to track it down, but it does little more than that. 

I personally feel that on something like this, it would have just been better to record and upload a proper version for the sake of the community.  I mentioned earlier backlash I had received for doing something in a similar way (releasing images of a rare magazine in a crappy quality), and I can understand where the backlash came from then, and also any issue people might take with this release.  True, you might have gone through the hurdles to get the tape (how large, who knows) but the watermark is basically a slap in the face to the community, especially in such a size and location. 

Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com