Games that could have been good... but aren't

Started by zmaster18, April 16, 2016, 01:55:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

Have you ever played Bomber King by Hudson? The game has cool art on the cartridge and seems like the more mature/badass version of Bomberman, playing in an adventure style. Unfortunately, the game is waaay to difficult and the first level is so long that I can't finish it, no matter how hard I try! What a bummer, this game could have been sweet.

What game have you played that you think had the potential to be a good game?

Nightstar699

Hmm... while nothing immediately comes to mind for me, I do have plenty of good games that I think were on the edge of being genuine masterpieces, but are held back by just a small number of crippling flaws, NES Strider and Argos No Senshi/Rygar are two big ones that come to mind. Rygar was fairly early so its glitchiness is "excusable", but Strider really could have been a top-tier action title with a little more smoothing out.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

UglyJoe

I really wanted to like Outlanders.  Everything about the game is almost good. 

The graphics aren't the worst.  Character portraits are pretty nice, actually.  The sprites don't look too bad until they start moving.  The background tiles...yeah, they're bad.

The dungeons aren't too bad, as far as retro action RPGs go, but they're just too clunky to be at that Zelda or Ys or God Slayer (Crystalis) level.  Again, so close!

The battle engine has all the right ideas.  You run around avoiding enemies.  You attack enemies when they're close.  A bit basic, but it works.  But then the hit detection is kind of weird.  And then you realize all you have to do is line up the enemies just right and they'll keep walking into your sword.

The game has good bones, but it plays like it needs another six months of development or something.  So close to being a lost gem in the FC library.

BaconBitsKing

April 17, 2016, 01:24:55 pm #3 Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:31:49 pm by BaconBitsKing
I was kind of disappointed with Bird Week. If the controls were a little more responsive and you moved a little faster, it would be a better game. But instead, everything has to be pixel perfect, especially picking up mushrooms. I really liked the idea of the game, but its controls ruin it.

zmaster18

Quote from: BaconBitsKing on April 17, 2016, 01:24:55 pm
I was kind of disappointed with Bird Week. If the controls were a little more responsive and you you moved a little faster, it would be a better game. But instead, everything has to be pixel perfect, especially picking up mushrooms. I really liked the idea of the game, but its controls ruin it.

I agree with this. I got the game lately and didn't like it at all, but the concept is interesting. The controls feel delayed. It could have been polished into a good game.

I also didn't like Kickle Cubicle. I know some people like it, but I was too bored to finish the first world. The first world is too long! The first level should leave you wanting more, not making you wish it was over!!

Nightstar699

I *almost* wanted to add Kickle Cubicle to my collection just because of the cameo from my beloved Yanchamaru, but then I played it on emulator, and... yeah, I was way too bored to justify getting it, even with the Yanchamaru shoutout.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Bob-Bob

Quote from: zmaster18 on April 16, 2016, 01:55:04 pmUnfortunately, the game is waaay to difficult and the first level is so long that I can't finish it, no matter how hard I try!

Are you sure it was that long? Or did you not realize the first stage loops infinitely until you find the crystal chalice?  ;)

zmaster18

Quote from: Bob-Bob on April 17, 2016, 05:17:54 pm
Quote from: zmaster18 on April 16, 2016, 01:55:04 pmUnfortunately, the game is waaay to difficult and the first level is so long that I can't finish it, no matter how hard I try!

Are you sure it was that long? Or did you not realize the first stage loops infinitely until you find the crystal chalice?  ;)

Wow...I had no idea! I also found a staircase that led me into an endless black screen crawling with enemies and I kept losing energy slowly until I died.

Maybe I need to look up some instructions for this game and try it again. My first impressions of the game weren't good though! ;) I wish the goal of the level was more self-explanatory.

Bob-Bob

Either start or select, I forget which, will open the item menu. You need to use a candle to be able to see in the dark. The dark tunnels are full of items and enemies but not blocks. You have to try and race to the stairway while collecting as many items as possible. If you're lucky you'll find an invincibility panel down there so you can barrel through the enemies no sweat.

Note that items must be conserved early on, as later stages are caked in darkness much like the secret tunnel. Also, not all stages loop infinitely, but many do. And once you get to the final screen of a stage, you must find the key before the goal will actually open.   :D

L___E___T

For me, I would include Legend of Kage - it was a successful arcade game I know bu the Famicom version for me always suffered from lacking / shallow gameplay and with some small tweaks would have been twice or three times as good for me.  I can go into specifics, but did anyone else find that?  the jumping is both awesome and flawed at the same time, but there are other issues I have with different mechanics.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

M-Tee

Kickle Cubicle is probably in my top dozen NES/FC titles.  Love the art style, presentation, and gameplay of it.

Robowarrior actually improves upon a lot of Bomber King's shortcomings if you haven't tried it.

Haven't played the arcade version of Legend of Kage. I enjoyed the NES version for what it was, but a lot of that is probably nostalgia.

Shumi Nagaremono

Ninja Turtles could have been another Konami classic if the jumping wasn't completely borked.