Family Basic (saving programs)

Started by BaconBitsKing, April 19, 2016, 04:06:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BaconBitsKing

I'm sorry if there's already a thread on this topic. I couldn't find one after searching.

So I just got Family BASIC today, and I'm trying to save one of the manual's sample programs. I'm using an AUX cord and a laptop with Audacity. I can get things to save, but I can't seem to load anything.

I've tried amplifying the audio, changing the project rate, and cleaning the audio, but I still can't get it to work.

I also tried loading some of these, which are higher quality audio than mine: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=8234.0

...but still got nothing.

Every time I save, I have it set to "Mic In"
When I record, I've tried every function:
Line in
Mic in
Headphone
Headset
Speaker out

None of these work. "Speaker Out" is just the speaker (go figure).

When I save, there is some other audio before cleaning (I can't hear it, but it's visible in the sound waves). It is very slight.

Thank you for any answers.

zmaster18

First of all, good for you for using Family BASIC.  ;D Welcome to the club  8)

I was never able to get the saving to work with my laptop audio jack, probably because of the pinout of the jack itself. But since you couldn't get the sample programs to load on your Famicom keyboard, it might be the jack in your keyboard. I had an old Famicom keyboard where the LOAD jack was totally rusted.

Take your keyboard apart and look inside at the jacks. Try and take a Q-tip with alcohol and try cleaning inside the jack. If you have a round metal file, scrape the inside of the jack to make it shiny again.

UglyJoe

Can you post one of your recordings?

BaconBitsKing

Here is the recording for the program that makes Mario appear in the middle of the screen (pg. 16 of the manual).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8aws89tx62c8dm3/TEST.wav

QuoteTake your keyboard apart and look inside at the jacks. Try and take a Q-tip with alcohol and try cleaning inside the jack. If you have a round metal file, scrape the inside of the jack to make it shiny again.

I will update this post tonight after I've done this.

UglyJoe

Quote from: BaconBitsKing on April 20, 2016, 12:10:42 pm
Here is the recording for the program that makes Mario appear in the middle of the screen (pg. 16 of the manual).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8aws89tx62c8dm3/TEST.wav

Did you muck with any volume settings while recording that?  The audio gets quieter shortly before the leading tone ends.  If you didn't, then there is probably a microphone/line-in setting in your software or device settings that is doing some kind of noise reduction and ruining the recordings.

I cut out the louder section of the file and amplified the remainder.  I got Nestopia to kinda load it (it knew it was named "TEST"), but the program listing was empty.  Given how the audio file sounds, I'm not sure you actually had a numbered program listing in there (that is to say, you may have saved a blank program named "TEST").

There's some sample programs in this thread: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=8234.0 (look for the "Program Data" links)

Try downloading one of those and playing them into your FB keyboard.  I usually have to play things back pretty loudly, but your results may vary.

BaconBitsKing

April 21, 2016, 12:43:14 pm #5 Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:45:26 pm by BaconBitsKing
That's really odd that the audio was getting lower. I don't know why that was happening, but it makes sense if that's the problem. You were right about me not putting any numbered program listings, since I only looked at the first page of the programming manual when typing my test program.  :-[

I also opened up my keyboard last night. Everything was completely clean. At least it's in good condition.

I went out and bought a cassette tape deck and decided to try it again. I corrected my mistake and typed program numbers this time. I actually got something to show up! I haven't gotten it to show a program yet, but it did at least show the name of it. It left me with "?TP ERROR" this time, so at least I know it's the tape loading this time. I'll try it with a few different volumes later.

I also tried my laptop again with number listings, and it failed again. I already tried two of those program data files on my laptop, but even they didn't work.

Edit: Just to clarify, I have been waiting at least 7 seconds after I start recording before I start saving the audio.