Must Buy Famicom Disk System Games

Started by HeatSeeker, April 24, 2016, 06:21:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeatSeeker

Hey

In your opinion, what are the must buy Famicom disk system games?
ツインファミコン

Arkanix38

As you're learning Japanese, you've got a considerably wider field to choose from. Some good one's I've played are Metroid (more fun to play than the NES version for me), Legend of Zelda, Gyruss, SMB2. Zelda 2 is a good pickup if you can read Japanese (which I can't :c) and so are a few other games like Esper Dream.

BaconBitsKing

I recommend these, since you can find most of them for ~$30:
Kaettekita Mario Bros.
Zelda
Akumajou Dracula
Zelda II
Super Mario Bros. 2
Nazo no Murasame Jo

zmaster18

If you like Konami, you must get Ai Senshi Nicol and Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa. Both are such great games! Ai Senshi Nicol is kind of like a more fast-paced, futuristic Zelda game... with a gun. Bio Miracle is a great platformer with nicely designed worlds and a cool mechanic that allows you to turn enemies into platforms. It feels fresh and different from any other platformer, which are a dime a dozen.  ;)

aitsu124

I agree with most of the games listed so far, but one that's going to get a lot of questions and disagreements on and that I've enjoyed is Tonkachi Mario.
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

Zycrow

I've heard good things about Falsion and Otocky.

Besides those already listed, I have Palutena no Kagami (Kid Icarus), Doki Doki Panic, and Moero Twin Bee (Stinger).

Both Metroid and Kid Icarus are improved on FDS due to having save features. Doki Doki Panic is a solid game all around and has a lot of differences from the US version of SMB2. Moero Twin Bee is fine - I mostly have it because it came with my FDS. I think a number of graphics were changed for the NES version.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

P

There are lots of similar threads if you dig a little. But since you are learning Japanese I'd like to mention a few games that requires Japanese literacy that are probably not mentioned in those threads.

Zelda II was already mentioned, and it's probably a good starting game if you haven't been studying that long yet, since there isn't too much text. Dracula II is also enjoyable and not as confusing as the English version (still a bit confusing in some parts though). Also it has cooler music thanks to the FDS expansion sound. It's full of Japanese that is a bit special though, so it's not as beginner-friendly as Zelda II.

Adventure games like Famicom Tantei Club (both games) requires advanced knowledge of Japanese. But they are a must buy IMHO.
There are several other adventure games, although I haven't played much of most of them they seem to be very good games.

UglyJoe

Knight Move is a good fast-paced puzzle game.  It's not the most complex game, but it is presented very, very well.