Datach => データック

Started by UglyJoe, April 24, 2016, 09:01:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

So I've had this Datach box sitting on my desk for a while.  I noticed the other day that there's some katakana on it above the "Datach" logo.  I've never had any idea how it was intended to be pronounced, but there's the katakana right there: データック.

So I know the Japanese like to mash words together.  Given that the word "Data" is in the romanized name, and that the katakana starts with デー, I'm pretty sure the first half is supposed to be the word "Data".

But what about the second half?  I searched Jisho for words ending with タック and mostly found variants of:

• attack
  • stack
  • tack
  • tuck

My first guess was "attack", but I'm not sure that makes any sense.  Data Attack?  I dunno.

Thoughts?  Guesses?

P

Since it's spelled "-tach" and pronounced /tack/ I guess it could be any English word that ends with -tach spelling-wise but is still pronounced as tack. Not only limited to words in EDICT. Of course the spelling could be a mistake or a kind of stylisation.

I always thought of it as a portmanteau of "Data" and "Attach" but "attach" isn't pronounced with a k-sound, and I wasn't aware of the pronunciation of Datach.

Bob-Bob

It's probably supposed to be "Datack", but I have no idea why they opted to romanize it as "Datach".