FDS-exclusives

Started by S. P. Sour, January 27, 2015, 05:49:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

S. P. Sour

I am waiting to receive a Famicom Disk System and am looking to get some sweet games.
As we know, the FDS had an extra sound channel or two allowing for some games like Metroid and Zelda II to sound like symphonies against their NES\non-disk counterparts.

In addition, some games like Legend of Zelda and Excitebike used the disk's saving capabilities to save things like game progress or custom user-made levels. I'd consider this preferable to an unreliable battery(they actually usually are reliable, but I'm a little miffed that mine has failed and the thing keeping it in place is gone) or the save function being dropped.

So my point is, what are some games that specifically take use of these features I mentioned, or are exclusive in other ways (like needing both sides of the disk) other than the games I already mentioned? I really want to get some of these games, to use my FDS to its full potential. (Also no need to warn me, it has a new belt  ;) )
(It also seems some games were straight up not on cartridge, like SMB2[I think?][LL version, not SMUSA], and Metroid)
Thanks!  ;D
[end post] [begin signature]
Proud owner of NES, Famicom, FDS, Super Famicom, Virtual Boy
Also I am Homestuck trash

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

zmaster18

You might want a disk version of Super Mario Bros. if you want you want to try the 'underwater minus-world'. It's pretty cool how there are slight differences between versions. Also recommend the disk version of Ice Climber. The music and levels are different. It's kinda like the 'Lost Levels' of Ice Climber.

aitsu124

Yeah, it's a port of Vs. Ice Climber with a few changes, such as a removed difficulty setting (I think).
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

Great Hierophant

Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/