FS: Star Fox 2 reproduction carts: PAL & NTSC !!

Started by VegaVegas, October 22, 2015, 12:46:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaVegas

As the title suggests, I have for sale a bunch of Star Fox 2 carts. I got some nice pile of them, around 15 or so

They all work on all SNES consoles, including SNES PAL, Super Famicom NTSC-JP and SNES NTSC-USA (although in this case any pass-through adapter or modifying the cartridge slot inside is required). The only difference between them is the front label (you choose the one you like better).

Price: 70$ shipped worldwide with tracking number

Payment by paypal

Contact info:
mail/paypal: boss.maarios@gmail.com
yahoo messenger: boss.maarios

TECHNICAL EXPLANATIONS (optional to read):

Every board contains Super FX chip that is fully functional and runs at 21Mhz frequency, the way Star Fox 2 was intended to play. Also, cartridges contain new SRAM battery installed, so you shouldn't worry about any loss of saved game data/high scores

All boards have been modified using small TSOP chips that contain Star Fox 2 English ROM. These chips are soldered on a small adapter board (designed by myself). Yes, this works exactly the same as the "standard" method using the spiderweb of wires attached to big EPROM chip. This makes the construction much more reliable than that. It is the same exact type of memory, it is 1MB capacity as well but it's much smaller in actual physical size

All Star Fox 2 cartridges contain universal CIC key chip installed using a small adapter board (also designed by me). This means the cartridges will work on ALL Super Nintendo consoles from any region!! They will work on Super Nintendo PAL, Super Famicom (NTSC-J) AND Super Nintendo NTSC-US (although in case of NTSC-US console you have to either use adapter for it or modify the cartridge slot because otherwise the cartridge won't fit inside).

In conclusion, Star Fox 2 boards I'm selling use the new method and are much more reliable. The chance of breaking them is much lower, you no longer worry if the cables will get detached inside etc. This doesn't mean that the cartridges can't break because they still can like any other cart but if either ROM or CIC chips get broken, they still can be replaced pretty easily.

PCB photos:

HVC-Man

bozo55

Would you be able to just sell me the Mask ROM board?  I have a copy of Wild Trax which is looking to donate itself for the greater good  ;D

VegaVegas

Quote from: bozo55 on October 22, 2015, 02:10:07 pm
Would you be able to just sell me the Mask ROM board?  I have a copy of Wild Trax which is looking to donate itself for the greater good  ;D

I will if 20$ shipped satisfies you in any way. I can sell more of them in bulk for lower price in case you're interested

80sFREAK

But... but.. where is the hot glue?   :o LOL

Thubms up for hardware pr0n and the quality of assembling!
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

jensma

Woah, awesome work! Unfortunatly I already got two (spaghetti) copies here. Good luck selling these!

btw, did you consider overclocking them a bit? It helps to get rid of some slowdowns in the game.

xIceMan

Heh, not bad. I'm using GSU -> TSOP adapter myself and I successfully overclocked StarFox2 by hijacking a few routines inside the game. My copy runs with 48MHz. :)

Lord-Raziel

Looks High Quality, if this could be overclocked this would be perfect :)

HVC-Man

Overclocking the SuperFX only makes it run faster, not smoother. Save your money and go with the stock 21MHz speed, it's the way Star Fox 2 was intended to work.

Also, just to clarify, the only difference between the GSU-1 and 2 is the latter can address more ROM and RAM. The only reason Star Fox 2 would have used the GSU-2 would be if it was 16Mbit like Nintendo Power said it would be. The common version on cartridges is 8Mbit, so it works perfectly fine on the GSU-1. Only Star Fox 1 ever used the SuperFX at 10.5MHz speed.

xIceMan

Yeah, I know about that, but I still like to experiment. :D
My copy of StarWing 2 runs at regular speed and I don't plan to change that.
Besides, the crystals only costed like 2$ for 10. :P

VegaVegas

I receive many private questions regarding selling Star Fox 2 ROM and CIC chips separately, so I want to officially claim that yes I can sell these separately so anyone having both Stunt Race FX/Wild Trax cart and basic/intermediate soldering skills can build their own Star Fox 2 cart.

The pricing is 35$ shipped worldwide with tracking number for both programmed ROM + CIC chips on adapters. Each additional set is +30$.

The price for just programmed Star Fox 2 ROM chip on adapter is 25$ shipped worldwide.

You can also buy additional ROM or CIC chips on adapters in any quantity along with the sets stated above. The price for additional ROM chip is +20$, for additional CIC chip it is +10$.

I can accept British currency (pound sterling) as well

FOR THOSE WHO ARE GOING TO ASSEMBLE THE PARTS TO THE BOARD: pay close attention to the photos I shared above. You must solder the chips in correct place and orientation as shown in the photos. Otherwise it will not work and you will have hard time removing the chip from the board and resoldering it

tjsynkral

Is it possible to get a SNES (US) shell version? I could always swap myself but I might as well ask.

VegaVegas

I am short on SNES US shell for Star Fox 2 right now unfortunately. Yes you can still buy a PCB and swap the shell if you have one. I know US carts have higher demand and at the same time get harder to find :/

mikemile91

hey i was wondering what you charge for just a board? i'm in the us so i can install it in a us cart shell.

jensma

Quote from: mikemile91 on May 20, 2016, 05:39:41 am
hey i was wondering what you charge for just a board? i'm in the us so i can install it in a us cart shell.

Quote from: MaarioS on January 09, 2016, 11:06:38 am
I receive many private questions regarding selling Star Fox 2 ROM and CIC chips separately, so I want to officially claim that yes I can sell these separately so anyone having both Stunt Race FX/Wild Trax cart and basic/intermediate soldering skills can build their own Star Fox 2 cart.

The pricing is 35$ shipped worldwide with tracking number for both programmed ROM + CIC chips on adapters. Each additional set is +30$.

The price for just programmed Star Fox 2 ROM chip on adapter is 25$ shipped worldwide.

You can also buy additional ROM or CIC chips on adapters in any quantity along with the sets stated above. The price for additional ROM chip is +20$, for additional CIC chip it is +10$.

I can accept British currency (pound sterling) as well

FOR THOSE WHO ARE GOING TO ASSEMBLE THE PARTS TO THE BOARD: pay close attention to the photos I shared above. You must solder the chips in correct place and orientation as shown in the photos. Otherwise it will not work and you will have hard time removing the chip from the board and resoldering it